Dealing with Bailiffs (CDER Group). Please help.

Options
Hello everyone,

I searched through all the forum topics and this seemed the most appropriate. Please move if it's not.

My sister & her husband moved into a new home just under 4 months ago. This morning a debt collector (calling himself a bailiff) turned up at my sister and her husband's home to chase a 7 month debt. Despite my sister providing documentation to prove that they and they alone live at the address and it's not their debt, the "bailiff" insisted he will keep returning until the debt is paid. He advised he can force entry and remove property if he wishes to, including their car. 

On the debt collection companies own website, it gives details of the documentation they need to prove they have incorrect address information - my sister has emailed this over to them now.

My sister is worried sick they will show up again and will sieze goods etc

Here is the disgusting letter the bailiff gave to my sister today. Any advice would be massively appreciated

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Someone with good knowledge of this will be along to help you soon.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Not their debt.

They've evidenced this

That should be the end of it
  • beardedmagic
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    Not their debt.

They've evidenced this

That should be the end of it
    It should be, yes. But the debt collection companies threats and intimidating behaviour, and their insistence that they will return, remove property and that they are completely entitled to do so, is terrifying my sister and her husband. So, I'm hoping to get some advice on what the bailiffs can and cannot do and if there's anything my sister can do to reassure her (and myself of course!)

Thank you for your reply though 😁👍🏻
  • beardedmagic
    Options
    It's also worth mentioning, that upon looking at the name on the debt letter, and a bit of digging online, my sister discovered that the person the bailiffs are after is the previous occupants nephew. When my sister contacted the previous occupant about this, she lied and claimed to not know who it was. My sister swapped homes with the previous occupant and could very easily give their address to the bailiff as a lead to chase. But I'm not sure if this is entirely legal? 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It's also worth mentioning, that upon looking at the name on the debt letter, and a bit of digging online, my sister discovered that the person the bailiffs are after is the previous occupants nephew. When my sister contacted the previous occupant about this, she lied and claimed to not know who it was. My sister swapped homes with the previous occupant and could very easily give their address to the bailiff as a lead to chase. But I'm not sure if this is entirely legal? 
     Perfectly legal. If she knows the address she should pass it on and get them off her back 
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It looks like they are bailiffs and that this has been to court already.

If they touch her car (or anything else outside the property belonging to her) they will be forced to return the items and may be subject to police action now they're aware.

If they force entry, they may also be subject to police action now they're aware.

The correct address should be given to the bailiffs to ensure the above doesn't happen.
    💙💛 💔
  • cardriver98
    cardriver98 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have their address,  take a copy of the debt and post it to them ! Simples. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback