Martin Lewis: Why are energy standing charges so high? What can be done

Options

Comments

• CSI_Yorkshire
    CSI_Yorkshire Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    wrf12345 said:
    moving s/c into the unit cost will not affect anyone paying less than the average cost, 
    Utilita? have moved the SC into the unit costs.  It affects everyone using more than 2 units a day.  You might wish to rethink your understanding of average cost.
  • bbungay
    bbungay Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When prices sky rocketed in 2021/22 I reduced gas and electricity kwh usage by 34% and 8%. I suspect most people did the same (or better), so no surprise the standing charges were hiked to cushion 'their' potential profit loss.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bbungay said:
    When prices sky rocketed in 2021/22 I reduced gas and electricity kwh usage by 34% and 8%. I suspect most people did the same (or better), so no surprise the standing charges were hiked to cushion 'their' potential profit loss.
    Or, back in the real world, standing charges were raised to cover the increased costs that they are designed to cover. 
  • CSI_Yorkshire
    Options
    bbungay said:
    Who are "they"?

OFGEM, who set the standing charge?

The government, that set the policies that have to be funded through the standing charge?

The 31 energy suppliers that went bankrupt and closed in 2021/22?

Not sure there was a lot of profit going any of those directions.
  • rufford155
    rufford155 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is exactly the same for car road tax.
    Have a car - pay £180 or more thank you - even if you only drive 5 miles once a week.
    Should all be on the fuel price - drive more, so pay more.
  • CSI_Yorkshire
    Options
    This is exactly the same for car road tax.
    Have a car - pay £180 or more thank you - even if you only drive 5 miles once a week.
    Should all be on the fuel price - drive more, so pay more.
    Depends what it's to pay for though, doesn't it?

To use a ridiculous example - if you wanted a builder to put up an extension, would you expect the price to be different if you used it eight hours a day or one day a month?

So, if you want wires and pipes to your house - why should they have a different price if you used them a lot or a little?
  • Briskly
    Briskly Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I always wonder how the UK standing charges compare to those in other countries. When I last checked I found that in most states in the US there is no standing charge at all. How can they do this? Their unit rates are also very much lower - presumably because of the cheap gas. In California it seems there is no standing charge and a 3 tiered unit rate for electricity, low for low users and increasing for high users. It all sounds very progressive, encouraging low use and helping the poorest. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback