Suggestions for a very basic mobile phone similar to 2006 era but with very basic internet

GervisLooper
GervisLooper Posts: 162 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 3 July 2023 at 6:46AM in Mobiles
I have a phone from around 2006 which has done me just fine all this time as I only used simple calling and texts.

It is on its last legs though with issues with battery keeping charge even after replacing as it seems to drain it somehow either way, even when off, with the screen doing some flickering thing taking juice.

I would like to live out my van now and wanting another basic phone but now perhaps with very basic internet to browse intermittently.

I do not like the privacy invading nature of phones now days. No specific reason other than on principle. I know people say 'why care if you have nothing to hide' well I do. I also care about not eating meat even though there may be 'no consequences' to me as an individual. It is just my personal principles.

I watched a snowdon video where he took out some microchip which uses to track you in a smartphone. Would that also be the case with a newer dumb phone?

What about internet itself and the apps. Talking about phones something like

Taking a look those phones I linked don't seem to have browsing capable internet but I am asking which one may have basic browsing capability while being similarly basic?

In terms of privacy I don't mean I want encryption and stuff. Fine with usual texting. I would just like something equal in level to my circa 2006 phone but with rudimentary internet functionality.

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 July 2023 at 6:59AM
    the phone that looks perfect for making phone calls and sending texts

as for the internet you will have to explain a little bit more about what you want to do. certainly this phone will not allow you to download any apps from the app store so for example you couldn't have WhatsApp or any banking apps or anything like that

as for tracking even dumb phones can track you because you have to connect to a cell tower to use it and therefore they immediately know where you are all the time it is switched on

so you might as well get a basic android smartphone because you are not any the less tracked. you don't have to take a chip out of it all you have to do is turn off location tracking
  • GervisLooper
    edited 3 July 2023 at 7:08AM
    km1500 said:

as for tracking even dumb phones can track you because you have to connect to a cell tower to use it and therefore they immediately know where you are all the time it is switched on

I know that is why I said the same as my 2006 era phone which I have no issues with regarding privacy. It is not the same because the google app store mines your data as I understand it with new phones and question if added gps tracking has been installed since that time re the snowdon video.

For internet I want simple browsing of websites for research mostly. Someone on reddit suggested an old blackberry from 2012 or so which has basic internet with opera browser without the bells and whistles of new phones.

Alternatively I had thought get a small pc like a pi and an old 3g dongle however that would take more work. I may do that down the line once living on the road but for now was looking for quicker solutions to get going.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    km1500 said:

I know that is why I said the same as my 2006 era phone which I have no issues with regarding privacy. It is not the same because the google app store mines your data as I understand it with new phones and question if added gps tracking has been installed since that time re the snowdon video.

For internet I want simple browsing of websites for research mostly. Someone on reddit suggested an old blackberry from 2012 or so which has basic internet with opera browser without the bells and whistles of new phones.

Alternatively I had thought get a small pc like a pi and an old 3g dongle however that would take more work. I may do that down the line once living on the road but for now was looking for quicker solutions to get going.

You do realise every time you go online as you are now (and using Google even only as a search engine) you're feeding the same thing you're objecting to?

Your options may be limited because while dumb phones are still available and very cheap, they will increasingly become obsolete as most of them use the 2G network - which is due to be phased out.  The trend is Android and Apple these days, so may be a case of take it or leave it.

Note that there is no obligation whatsoever to use Google Play if you buy an Android phone.  If you want apps you'll have to use it, but out of the box it'll just work without needing to use Play.
  • tiger135
    tiger135 Posts: 438 Forumite
    what network are you on ? 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,208 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Perhaps a solution could be a basic no Internet phone for everyday use, with cheap tablet for internet?
    Going further, just use tablet with public Wi FI, like park outside MacDs, library, cafe etc. When not in use tablet is turned off, and will not require a SIM either if using public Wi Fi
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    km1500 said:

Your options may be limited because while dumb phones are still available and very cheap, they will increasingly become obsolete as most of them use the 2G network - which is due to be phased out.  The trend is Android and Apple these days, so may be a case of take it or leave it.
    I don't think that any network has set a date for the phase out of 2G, but its said that 2G is being phased out 2033 at the latest.

So the OP could use a 2G phone for another 10 years it seems.
  • tiger135
    most new basic phones have 4g now 
  • GervisLooper
    Marvqn1 said:

So the OP could use a 2G phone for another 10 years it seems.
    Is 2g capable of basic browsing, looking up websites and such? I think that logging in to online banking or similar logins would be out due to not being javascript capable? I think that is what I read from a reply elsewhere recently. Still I may be able to work around that.

• tiger135
    i would go with the suggestion of basic 4g phone for £25 eg nokia 215 4g plus a tablet for browsing 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback