Thames Water Overcharged

Options
Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation before and what steps they took to get out of it.

My partner and I moved into a 1 bedroom ex council flat last year. When we set up out Thames Water account, we were advised by TWW that there was a meter at the property. I could only find one meter at the time, I gave the serial number over etc. We then got a massive estimate / bill, which I disputed with TW and during that discussion they advised we had another meter at the property. The serial numbers are identical except the last digit. I gave the meter reading over, but they still advised we were using the equivalent of 182 m2 of water in 12 days. Which is ridiculous, we refused to pay whilst TW investigated. As a result of us not paying, our bill increased and we have been on a £60 a month payment plan that is due to end in October. Thames Water eventually sent someone out, said that the first reading was incorrectly logged, our bill was never reduced after the engineer's attendance. They are going to send someone out again, but I don't know what difference this is going to make. I think that one of the meters counts the water for the entire building (we live in a small block)?, but I don't know how to prove this to Thame Water as I'm sure they have more information than we do. Obviously, we would have not disputed and paid our bills regularly if our costs weren't estimated so highly in the first place.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Does anyone know if its possible to get a refund? We've been calling and using the chat on the TW website. Would we have more luck writing an email?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Comments

• Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried giving an online meter reading.

Alternatively get a clear photo ready, and then phone customer services and email it to the agent whilst on the phone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback