C’mon, fess up.

Thumbs_Up
Thumbs_Up Forumite Posts: 875
500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite

I know hindsight is a gift none of us have, and your conscience will say  "it was the best rate at the time". Like to front up and state you made a mistake putting a sum of money in a 1 - 5 year bond that you now regret.

Me, I jump in to early on some ISA’s, the rates now look woeful. Yes, I can suck it up and pay a get out of gaol penalty charge, but hey-ho.

0001 F > KGWNT(R)BLQPAHYDVJIFXEZOCSMU CDTK 25 15 16 260002 O > UORYTQSLWXZHNM(B)VFCGEAPIJDK CDTL 25 15 16 010003 L > HLNRSKJAMGF(B)ICUQPDEYOZXWTV CDTM 25 15 16 020004 G > KPTXIG(F)MESAUHYQBOVJCLRZDNW CDUN 25 15 17 030005 E > XDYB(P)WOSMUZRIQGENLHVJTFACK CDUO 25 15 17

Comments

• Johnjdc
    Johnjdc Forumite Posts: 287
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A 2.4% matured at the start of this month for me.

and I just took the hit to move a Leeds 2.75% ISA into my S&S ISA with the intent of buying gilts if yields are still 5% plus when it arrives.

Took a small hit last Autumn on an ISA too but clearer cut moving from 1.4 to 4.2 or something like that.
  • Catplan
    Catplan Forumite Posts: 313
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 June at 12:43PM
    Funded a 4.2 fixed Isa in April.

was going to open a loyalty isa same as previous year which will be going 5.0 at start of July…. It’s now NLA.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Forumite Posts: 4,659
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yep, I took out a 1 year NS&I 4% growth bond in February. Luckily, I didn't put all my eggs in that one basket.
  • auser99
    auser99 Forumite Posts: 170
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    1 year fixed bond at about 2.7%, luckily maturing next month!

2 year ISA at 4.28% in April isn't looking superb, especially as the transfer of some of the funds frome existing money hasn't gone through yet, 2months on :)

Shouldn't be the same risk of getting on high 5+ % fixed bonds now....should there? (famous last words!)
  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Middle_of_the_Road Forumite Posts: 321
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Catplan said:
    As did I. Very bad timing.
  • happybagger
    happybagger Forumite Posts: 728
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    20k in a Cov BS members bond at 3% bugs me, 2 of 3 years left, so that will cost a bit.

20k in a Leeds BS ISA at 2.75% but at least can exit at 180 days interest. Will probably shift it if FR ISAs get to 5.5% or so
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Forumite Posts: 2,140
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    While it was clear the direction of travel was up, I don't think many of us foresaw the speed of interest rate rises, I certainly didn't.
    I've still got some fixes maturing in the next couple of months at around 3 - 3.5% which has not been great since the back end of last year. But as you say hindsight is 20/20.

I always think looking back with today's knowledge is the wrong thing to do, if you made a decision based upon the available facts at that time and had good reason to do so then even if the future didn't pan out like you expected, your decision was not a mistake.
  • Catplan
    Catplan Forumite Posts: 313
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Catplan said:
    As did I. Very bad timing.
    Using the ditch isa calculator I’d still be £97 worse off moving it.
  • jim1999
    jim1999 Forumite Posts: 168
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not fixes, but got stung many years ago on passbook accounts.  I took recommendations from MSE, and went in for high interest rate "regular / monthly" building society accounts.

Problem was, I didn't live near them.  First I had to get verified ID at the post office, and post all of that in.  Then when the accounts matured, they wanted me to post in the passbook to close the accounts.  And they suggested using Special Delivery because if they got lost it would be a major problem.

So I had some accounts with good interest rates on paper, but due to the low monthly limits and the costs associated with managing them, I don't think I did very well.  I never calculated the costs though, seemed too depressing!
  • trickydicky14
    trickydicky14 Forumite Posts: 808
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

Yes, I still have 5k in a 1 year fix @ 2.7% with BLME fortunately only 4 weeks to run. I also have a 2.7% with Coventry B.S that’s got 8 weeks to go on 9k.

Hopefully I’ll still be able to find some good rates when they become available, fingers crossed.

I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
    The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
    There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
    I listen all night for your step on the stair.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback