Options
2»

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,635 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apollo22 said:
    I have a 20 year old boiler with a separate water tank.  I am thinking of putting as new combi boiler in. Quote is just shy of £5k.  It seems a lot but I need a new bigger gas pipe and all the old stuff is being removed.  Given the boiler is about £1k, and say £500 parts, is £3.5k excessive for 2 days work? Thanks

We had an even older non-condensing boiler with hot water tank replaced with a combi a few years ago.
    The old boiler was floor standing in the utility room and the new one went in the attached garage, just behind the utility room. We needed a new flue, drainage, and gas and water pipes had to be re-routed. The old water tank was in an airing cupboard and had a radiator/towel warmer attached to it, so the plumbing to that had to be changed, as did the hot water feed. The cold water tank in the loft was disconnected, as was the small water tank for the unpressurised central heating system. Had a radiator installed in the utility room as the old inefficient boiler used to keep it toasty warm and we dried clothes in there! Central heating system had to be flushed too.
    It was about 3 days work with two people there most of the time. Cost about 4K, using an accredited installer for the boiler we chose, so that we got the ten year warranty.
    I got 3 quotes, including one from British Gas, to use as a pointer for the most expensive.
    Did end up going with the cheapest, although mainly because they were local and inspired the most confidence.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    victor2 said:
    Apollo22 said:
    I have a 20 year old boiler with a separate water tank.  I am thinking of putting as new combi boiler in. Quote is just shy of £5k.  It seems a lot but I need a new bigger gas pipe and all the old stuff is being removed.  Given the boiler is about £1k, and say £500 parts, is £3.5k excessive for 2 days work? Thanks

We had an even older non-condensing boiler with hot water tank replaced with a combi a few years ago.
    The old boiler was floor standing in the utility room and the new one went in the attached garage, just behind the utility room. We needed a new flue, drainage, and gas and water pipes had to be re-routed. The old water tank was in an airing cupboard and had a radiator/towel warmer attached to it, so the plumbing to that had to be changed, as did the hot water feed. The cold water tank in the loft was disconnected, as was the small water tank for the unpressurised central heating system. Had a radiator installed in the utility room as the old inefficient boiler used to keep it toasty warm and we dried clothes in there! Central heating system had to be flushed too.
    It was about 3 days work with two people there most of the time. Cost about 4K, using an accredited installer for the boiler we chose, so that we got the ten year warranty.
    I got 3 quotes, including one from British Gas, to use as a pointer for the most expensive.
    Did end up going with the cheapest, although mainly because they were local and inspired the most confidence.
    As a matter of interest how much did British Gas want to charge?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,635 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zandoni said:
    victor2 said:
    Apollo22 said:

As a matter of interest how much did British Gas want to charge?
    Can't remember now, but it was probably around 5K after they came back with a discount. I do remember they could only give a 5 year warranty on the proposed WB boiler.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We’ve just had a new Worcester boiler and changed to a combi. It was about 2.5 days work which included taking the water tank out the loft, the cylinder out the airing cupboard, fitting the new boiler, moving the flue and bricking the whole where the old flue would be in the wall. It came to about £4200
  • Apollo22
    Options
    Thanks Rich, I think its all around £4.2k but I am not sure what to do with the property so may as well hold on to my cash and make a decision once I know what I am doing. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback