Combi boiler estimate

Options
I have a 20 year old boiler with a separate water tank.  I am thinking of putting as new combi boiler in. Quote is just shy of £5k.  It seems a lot but I need a new bigger gas pipe and all the old stuff is being removed.  Given the boiler is about £1k, and say £500 parts, is £3.5k excessive for 2 days work? Thanks

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes bl00dy expensive, plus they can do it in a day.
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 June 2023 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Stick your info into BOXT see what their price is but dont use them. Your local chap should be less and yes it can take more than a day.
    Its not just a boiler + labour there will be other things too.
  • BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    what about if you did a replacement with a conventional condensing boiler (or indeed a system boiler+unvented)?

• SaverRate
    SaverRate Posts: 937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ytfcmad said:
    Stick your info into BOXT see what their price is but dont use them. Your local chap should be less and yes it can take more than a day.
    Why not use BOXT? We did a couple of years back and never had any issues 
    FTB - April 2020 
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We got a new combi boiler supplied and installed January 2021 for £2.5k. But that was swapping old for new, with no other work. With you replacing the water storage, new gas pipe etc, wouldn't surprise me if its £3.5k now.

But not £5k
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In the middle of having my old boiler replaced (Baxi back boiler with gravity fed hot water). Have spent the last few weeks replumbing the entire system - So new copper pipes (22mm instead of 15mm), larger radiators in most of the rooms, plus some electrical work. Materials cost alone is over £500, and then there is my time & labour on top.
    Had quotes from various people in the £3.6K to £4.2K region, all of which sounded over the top... Finally got one under £2.6K, and there is scope to reduce that even further.

But if you are paying someone to do all the work, £5K, although expensive, is not totally unreasonable. For comparison, a neighbor had a new boiler installed along with a few radiators (and ~8m of 28/22mm gas pipe) for just £8K :o
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SaverRate said:
    ytfcmad said:
    Why not use BOXT? We did a couple of years back and never had any issues 
    Your local man will be cheaper, quite a bit of negative feedback if you look around.
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 July 2023 at 12:01PM
    Options
    It sounds expensive. The average for a new combi boiler and installation is about £3k.

What company gave you the quote?
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just had a new boiler fitted by a local guy who's name I got from Vaillant. Mine was a very easy install and he done it for £1850 with a 10 year manufacturers guarantee. The dearest quote I got for exactly the same work was £2940.
  • Apollo22
    Apollo22 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Cheapest is £3.5k. Not sure if keeping the house and therefore may leave it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business