Fractional shares ISA and HMRC

Options
Hi,
  I’ve just heard about HMRC saying that fractional shares are not allowed in an ISA.
  So, I’m rather worried. Like a few people are likely to be I suppose.

Tried googling but no concrete info found.

I have a couple of thousand in an ISA, I put money away each month and when I buy shares I buy by value, i.e. 100 pounds of share xyz, so my platform will then go away and buy 2.123456 or whatever of the stock.

My ISA provider has said as far as they are concerned fractional shares are allowed in an ISA but they are talking with HMRC so just have to wait and see.

My questions to those more familiar with these things are:
   1. If HMRC decide to formally define a share as a unit of one, are people with fractional shares likely to get fined ?

2. Are those fines likely to be high ? I’ve read about fines and I’m worried the fine could be more than my couple of thousand portfolio!

3. Can we be fined - if the isa allows this I assumed that it is allowed, so acted in good faith and not reported on a self assessment (had my first self assessment request for this tax year, have no idea what to do with it btw)

4. In my case my stocks as a whole are below the capital gains threshold and the dividends most certainly are - so can you inadvertently get into trouble even if below capital gains threshold ?

5. Should I just liquidate all my stocks now or leave them as they are ?

many thanks for any thoughts

Andy

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    all still very unclear, read HERE,
  • Reallyskates
    Options
    Thank you both for the info, I’ve rounded up the fractional stocks to whole numbers and will make sure I only buy whole shares from now on :)
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a sidebar issue: Interactive Investor sells fractions of nominal gilts but only lets you sell whole units so fractions of a single unit sit in my GIA. I will be interested at next coupon date to see if I am paid half of 0.125% of less than one unit. I don't plan on declaring it on my self-assessment!
  • Doctor_Who
    Doctor_Who Posts: 917 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As a sidebar issue: Interactive Investor sells fractions of nominal gilts but only lets you sell whole units so fractions of a single unit sit in my GIA. I will be interested at next coupon date to see if I am paid half of 0.125% of less than one unit. I don't plan on declaring it on my self-assessment!
    I assume at the redemption date these gilt fractions get redeemed and your GIA is credited?
    'Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it; he who doesn’t, pays it' - Albert Einstein.
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I do not believe that HMRC would take action against investors in these accounts. If you were to transfer to another broker who did not support fractional shares, your fractional shares would have to be sold to allow the transfer to take place. If HMRC successfully took action against the providers of these ISAs, I expect that they would have to sell your fractional shares and pay the proceeds into your ISA. That would have the same result as transferring your fractional shares ISA to a compliant ISA. According to the article linked above, the providers of these accounts have taken legal advice and been advised that fractional shares are legal within an ISA, so any HMRC action against them might not succeed anyway. In short, I would not lose any sleep over it.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume at the redemption date these gilt fractions get redeemed and your GIA is credited?
    I hope so. I am desperate for half a Mars bar.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,457 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "HM Revenue & Customs held a meeting with industry figures and Treasury officials last week, during which it maintained that this type of investment could not be held within a tax-free account despite platforms disputing this interpretation of the rules."
    It appears platforms may be forced to treat the fractional shares as unwrapped investments as they are not ISA-eligible.
  • chockydavid1983
    chockydavid1983 Posts: 713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2023 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Is this just for if you own part of a share of an individual stock or is it also where you own part of a unit of an index fund? Or is it still unclear as it's still a developing story?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 October 2023 at 8:57PM
    Options
    Shares. So companies, investment trusts and ETFs
    Not OEICs, or other 'funds' denoted in units which have always been bought and sold in non-whole numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback