Lets play a game... what do you think is the biggest issue?

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,304
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Panelling is also trendy. I've been surprised how nice it looks when clever pastel colours are used between it, the walls and the banister. 
    Worth trawling the net especially images.
    There was someone on here about 6mts ago and posted a photo of the result. It really did look lovely.

Paper got to go. Get a cheap steamer.
    Artex not nice but once painted you'll forget about it till the end. I got a roller to do mine. How to on the net. And a brush to touch up the bits missed.
    Will prob need 2or 3 coats and let it dry for 3 or 4 days between because I found it will show up any thin or missed bits then

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,376
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, @foxandflowers. There is a Facebook group called, "Don't dump it donate it, followed by your/our county". Maybe try it for the greenhouse. You'd be amazed what gets given away. First priority when you move? A cup of tea, everything else will wait. (Sometimes for years, if you're like me!) Hugs, mumtoomany.xx
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024

• I have been having a scout of the ceiling situation in the house, and while nearly every room has a "stipple" effect on the ceiling, which is a ugly... I actually love the patterns in the hallway, and I think if the rest of the lounge wasn't such a mish-mash then the circle pattern there would work really well too. 
     total debt at LBM 01/2023: £47,178.76 ❀ dfd stepchange: jan 2051. my target: may 2043.
    ☙ 03/2024: £42,502.48 ❧
    ☙ 9.96% paid off ❧

✾ pbs: £27/£5000 ✾ 

2024 goals. 
    11/100 nsd || £0/£250 emergency fund
    290 +5 /2024 things decluttered 🥉🥉🥉 ⭐️ || running total physical items in: 7
    £248.60/£600 made by decluttering || £224.50/£500 on vinted

🌻late diagnosed autistic🌻

dark days can be either a burial or a planting. 
    they say pressure makes diamonds, how the hell am i still coal?
  • Simonon77
    Simonon77 Posts: 213
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not a fan of artex, but I think once you sort the lounge out and get rid of the wood and redecorate, new carpet etc... it could look pretty good 
  • twopenny
    Forumite
    Sometimes it's one thing that can be a starting point to the 'theme' of a room. Perhaps that art deco effect is it.
    I've started with a bowl shape I liked and recently lockdown made me paint furniture and resulted in 'modern cottage' I saw on tv. Who knew it even had a name but saved me a fortune in new  :-)

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,056
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    twopenny said:
    Sometimes it's one thing that can be a starting point to the 'theme' of a room. Perhaps that art deco effect is it.
    I've started with a bowl shape I liked and recently lockdown made me paint furniture and resulted in 'modern cottage' I saw on tv. Who knew it even had a name but saved me a fortune in new  :-)

I was going to say exactly the same about the art deco effect. If you're a fan (see what I did there? ;) ), and I am, then I'd be tempted to make a feature of it. Wouldn't work if you're a minimalist though.
  • Simonon77
    Simonon77 Posts: 213
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have a bit of an art deco theme in my living room, these sort of uplights would go well with that ceiling design

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,519
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am taken with the slot in the fireplace, wonder if it was for a VCR or a tuner amp.

Another vote for keeping the design on ceilings in hall and living room.
  • twopenny
    Forumite
    Lovely to see some character in homes  :)
    A bit of fun. Life is way too serious.

My artex, bog standard, was irritating until I painted it. Never been done. Once nicely white it fell into the background.

Not the most fun thing to do but not as bad as people said. Call it a challenge during lockdown.
    Still have the kitchen left to do. 

Loving this thread, it's so much easier to advise other people than find the ooomph to do your own  :D  

• @twopenny - character is one thing it doesn't lack! I'm going to try and preseve some of that, whilst also bringing it into this century. 

Next question for all you lovely people... 

The rendering on the front of the house has seen better days, and there are some rather concerning cracks appearing above the upper right window. I'm not sure if it's cracked because it was just really shoddily installed double glazing and there was a problem with the lintel or what the issue is. There's also a lovely vertical crack down the side of the house where the extension attaches to the main house, and I have no idea if that is just in the render, or if it's a bigger problem. Headache upon headache.

BUT. I don't know what order to do any of the house in. 

The double glazing will need replacing as the seals have rotted around the windows causing them to be full of condensation. So I need to replace the windows (and while I'm at it, I wouldn't mind a new front door also), but I need to strip the wallpaper and repaint everywhere inside, and I need to extend the kitchen and swap out the remaining single glazed door for patio doors... So I don't know what to do first? Can you tell this is my first time doing this? 
     total debt at LBM 01/2023: £47,178.76 ❀ dfd stepchange: jan 2051. my target: may 2043.
    ☙ 03/2024: £42,502.48 ❧
    ☙ 9.96% paid off ❧

✾ pbs: £27/£5000 ✾ 

2024 goals. 
    11/100 nsd || £0/£250 emergency fund
    290 +5 /2024 things decluttered 🥉🥉🥉 ⭐️ || running total physical items in: 7
    £248.60/£600 made by decluttering || £224.50/£500 on vinted

🌻late diagnosed autistic🌻

dark days can be either a burial or a planting. 
    they say pressure makes diamonds, how the hell am i still coal?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback