Lets play a game... what do you think is the biggest issue?

Comments

• Simonon77
    Simonon77 Posts: 213
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    twopenny said:
    Those cupboard doors are quite trendy again. They just need sorting out somehow.
    For a quick fix (goodness knows I'm doing the same) paint ceiling, walls and  tiles white, helps the boiler blend in.
    New worktop something plain and a funky blind or two.
    New kitchen mixer tap?

I agree on the units, if they are all solid wood then they are much better than anything you would buy now unless you were paying tens of thousands for custom made ones. 
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,799
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 June 2023 at 7:05AM
    Simonon77 said:
    twopenny said:
    Those cupboard doors are quite trendy again. They just need sorting out somehow.
    For a quick fix (goodness knows I'm doing the same) paint ceiling, walls and  tiles white, helps the boiler blend in.
    New worktop something plain and a funky blind or two.
    New kitchen mixer tap?

I agree on the units, if they are all solid wood then they are much better than anything you would buy now unless you were paying tens of thousands for custom made ones. 
    Both these ^^ I'd be going to great lengths to keep those units. No they're not fashionable (this month) but quality beats trend in my book all day long.

Edit - Sorry. 2p says they are trendy again, so that shows what I know ha haa!
    In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,519
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    With that property clearing the rear garden and making tidy followed by a suitable fence would be my first priority, especially at this time of year.
    The neighbours would probably thank you for it as well.
  • @Eldi_Dos yes this is absolutely our first priority! We have two dogs, so secure and safe garden is a must. Not entirely sure how I am going to remove the broken greenhouse, but we will figure it out. Then new windows and doors, and repairing and painting the exterior masonry before we tackle inside. It's been empty for seven years, so needs a lot of TLC. 
     total debt at LBM 01/2023: £47,178.76 ❀ dfd stepchange: jan 2051. my target: may 2043.
    ☙ 03/2024: £42,502.48 ❧
    ☙ 9.96% paid off ❧

✾ pbs: £27/£5000 ✾ 

2024 goals. 
    11/100 nsd || £0/£250 emergency fund
    290 +5 /2024 things decluttered 🥉🥉🥉 ⭐️ || running total physical items in: 7
    £248.60/£600 made by decluttering || £224.50/£500 on vinted

🌻late diagnosed autistic🌻

dark days can be either a burial or a planting. 
    they say pressure makes diamonds, how the hell am i still coal?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,248
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    foxandflowers said: Not entirely sure how I am going to remove the broken greenhouse, but we will figure it out.
    An aluminium framed greenhouse, the glass will be held in with spring clips. A pair of long nose pliers and a flat bladed screwdriver gets them out (just wear some eye protection...). Wooden greenhouses, the glass could be held in with glazing strips or putty - Just cut the frame up with a reciprocating saw, and pull it away from the glass.
    The same reciprocating saw will make short work of an aluminium frame. Then cart the lot down to the local recycling centre.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

• It's definitely aluminium themed - but a lot of the glass on the lower bits has broken, so I'm not entirely sure how to get that out of the grass. My henry hoover is a beast, but I don't think it's that much of a beast lol. 
    The good news is the concrete posts are still in place from the fence that was there once upon a time - so it should be relatively straightforward to replace the current 'bits' of fence that are left with a chainlink fence. 
     total debt at LBM 01/2023: £47,178.76 ❀ dfd stepchange: jan 2051. my target: may 2043.
    ☙ 9.96% paid off ❧

2024 goals. 

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,304
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    There's something beautiful in there somewhere :D 
    Just some judgment on what to do for the moment to keep you sane that doesn't cost too much.
    I'd start with a brush cutter and level the brambles so you can see the whole. New pains of glass are cheap and easy to put in for a feature, toms, vine, winter veg and a selling point 

Re the kitchen doors, I've seen amazing kitchens done with pallet doors and work tops reclaimed tiles and copper pans but it's not everyone's cup of tea and more work than going to a showroom and saying 'I'll have that one'.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,248
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    twopenny said: I'd start with a brush cutter and level the brambles so you can see the whole. New panes of glass are cheap and easy to put in for a feature, toms, vine, winter veg and a selling point
    You'll probably find some of the spring clips have rusted away, and there should be some "hangers" to support the upper panes of glass - A decent garden centre will be able to supply clips & bits. Might also be worth looking at the condition of the rubber sealing strips and replace where necessary.
    First job will be whacking back the weeds as twopenny suggests. Once the weeds are cut back, spray the area with a strong weedkiller, then take stock of the space.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,519
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @foxandflowers, once all that is cleared and suitably fenced it will make a big difference to the property,and plenty of room for the dogs to enjoy.
    As others have said brush cutter to get cut down and look into hiring a portable electric shredder for all the material, that will make it easier to handle,bag up and dispose of. You can hire one for about £90 for a three day weekend

• This is all super helpful, thank you all so much for your input. I have a string strimmer, but it's battery powered, so would imagine it to conk out about 10 minutes into attempting the above. So we will definitely be looking at getting a brush cutter.

I've never done a renovation on a house before, and there is a LOT that is going to need doing. Budget is about 70k for everything, and if I can pick all your brains for help, that would be amazing. There is wood panelling, artex ceilings, and textured wallpaper almost all the way through. Am thinking it might be best to just whitewash the wood panelling and save the prospect of the entire wall collapsing. 
    ☙ 9.96% paid off ❧

2024 goals. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback