Wiring for a 2-way light switch to add a zigbee module
I recently (with the help of this forum!) installed a 4 bulb light in our hallway to replace a bog standard plastic ceiling rose.
Light looks great and room is now ready to paint and fill/sand around the current light switch however our entire home has hue lighting and heavily built into automations via home assistant and when it came to fitting the light, the glass globes were a few mm too short to fit the bulbs we use so we had to just use standard e14 filament candle bulbs.
I can't have one light fitting in the whole house not work with our ecosystem as it would drive me nuts, so am looking to fit a zigbee module in the backbox of the switch to allow home assistant to control that light outside of hue. I don't want to use hue's version of the module as it's nearly 3x the price and has a 5 year battery instead of just being powered.
Anyways, other challenge is the backbox fitted to my switch is quite shallow so to make it fit I would need either a deeper backbox or to sit this one further back in the wall, which is a solid wall but fairly soft as made out of thermalite blocks.
Forgive my pictures of the backbox here, as the wall has been sanded down roughly ready to fill and paint the walls and around the switch as I don't think previous owners decorated for some time! Also sorry these are huge as doesn't seem to be a way to resize them!
And this is the Zigbee module;
There are two cable entries at the top of the backbox
The one on the right;
* Earth to backbox terminal (then connection from there to the switch plate earth connector as it's a metal plate)
* Red to COM at the top of the switch plate
* Black to L1 at the bottom of the switch plate
The one on the left;
* Earth to backbox terminal again
* Red to L2 at the top of the switch plate *
* Blue to L1 at the top of the switch plate *
* Yellow to COM at bottom of the switch plate
Switch plate in photos above is a double switch with one switch controlling the landing lights, and the other controlling the hall lights - the switch is in the hall. There is no switch in the landing for the hall, this is the only double switch we have. The light I want to control is the hallway light.
Can I get some guidance on what I need to wire up, and what I need to keep wired to the switch for the desired effect? There is a wiring diagram in the instructions but can never get my head round them.
In my head I'll ;
* knock power off & undo screws, remove existing wires
* Remove the backbox
* Chisel some space out behind it to make it a little deeper and either push the backbox further back and use deeper screws, or install a deeper backbox
* Connect the cables up
* Close all back up and pair and test
- All Categories
- 338.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 447.5K Spending & Discounts
- 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
- 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 171K Life & Family
- 243.9K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards