To close or not to close - credit score impact

Hello! I have a credit card with First Direct, my current account provider, which I haven't used for a while. When I phoned today to ask for a replacement card - I wanted to use it to pay a regular bill on, paying off the balance in full each month, to build my credit score up following paying off a DMP -  they said it was inactive, and if I did want to use it I would have to close the account and reapply - the account exists in their system and on my internet banking, but as it hadn't been used for a while they didn't issue a new physical card to me, and it's been marked as inactive on their system. I paid it off in full before the DMP began and so haven't used it for five years.

However, the account is showing as active on all the credit reference agency files with a balance of 0 and limit of £3500 - should I keep it 'open ' just to keep my credit utilisation ratio up, or should I request to close it? 

Comments

• th081
    th081 Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How much other credit do you have 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's going to have zero effect, as you have to reapply. 

Forget your score. it is your credit history that counts & DMP will not have helped.

Odds on FD will refuse your app.

But never not use a CC for anything more than a year.
    Life in the slow lane
  • cheeseball73
    cheeseball73 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't want to apply for a new credit card right now - I was hoping to use the old one for that reason. 

I don't have any other credit accounts bar my overdraft. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    Sadly after 5 years of no use, it not going to happen without applying. As that is their procedure. As well as clearly the DMP has been flagged up on the system checks.

As I said, score is meaningless to a lender. History is what counts.
    Life in the slow lane
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Use eligibility checkers to find a suitable replacement, starting with first direct if you like (they may say no). Some think closing accounts just before an application can be negative so I would take out the new card first if eligibility is promising.
  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its interesting they described it as "inactive" instead of "closed". I suppose it clarifies the misunderstanding which can happen if you say an account is closed with a balance on it - because you're still obligated to pay off that balance, you just can't spend on the card.

In the grand scheme of things, it showing as active with £0 balance for a while, on credit reference files, is neither here nor there, I doubt if it would sway a decision for future credit.
  • Hi I have 2 credit cards on a zero % transfer scheme, would I be better to put both balances on 1 card, and would that improve ny credit score
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2023 at 6:03PM
    No. But it wouldn't matter if it did. You can't cash the points in for anything.

Only BT if it is favourable to you.
  • MrFrugalFever
    MrFrugalFever Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hello! I have a credit card with First Direct, my current account provider, which I haven't used for a while. When I phoned today to ask for a replacement card - I wanted to use it to pay a regular bill on, paying off the balance in full each month, to build my credit score up following paying off a DMP -  they said it was inactive, and if I did want to use it I would have to close the account and reapply - the account exists in their system and on my internet banking, but as it hadn't been used for a while they didn't issue a new physical card to me, and it's been marked as inactive on their system. I paid it off in full before the DMP began and so haven't used it for five years.

However, the account is showing as active on all the credit reference agency files with a balance of 0 and limit of £3500 - should I keep it 'open ' just to keep my credit utilisation ratio up, or should I request to close it? 
    You say you only have an overdraft credit facility now and nothing else, assuming the DMP has run its course now?

Your credit report history will reflect the DMP and as such you may find access to credit incredibly challenging for quite some time, not least FD as they are a prime lender.

If you need access to a credit card to start building up your history to show you can effectively manage low levels of borrowing then I’d suggest looking at lenders such as;

Aqua
    Marbles
    Fluid
    Capital One
    Vanquis/Chrome
    118 Money

Use their eligibility checkers first though!
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback