I have to pay £1,500 to get my water pipe replaced. Do I actually have to pay?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 9 June 2023 at 9:10AM in Water bills
All the neighbours got a letter saying a leak has been detected and if we don't pay the £1,500 to replace the entire supply pipe, they will get a warrant from the court to do so and leave us with the bill. 

My issue is that a leak has been detected, but they can't specify where. I accept I'm responsible for the pipework on my property, but struggling to understand why that means I need to pay to have the whole thing replaced if the leak hasn't been specifically detected on my property.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Who's the letter from?  Hopefully your water supply or waste company.  I'd ring them to ask what's up.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you on a private road or similar setup?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Brie said:
    Who's the letter from?  Hopefully your water supply or waste company.  I'd ring them to ask what's up.
    It's from the water company.

Are you on a private road or similar setup?
    Cul de sac. Not a private Road. 
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,603 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 June 2023 at 5:45PM
    Options

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    But the op hasn't been given an indication of where the leak is so a plan is no help.
    The water company can't specify where the leak is.
    I would certainly want to know what such a large sum as £1,500 was for and where.

They have been replacing mains all over my area and no money asked for.
    There is something else going on here. Private road, something in the deeds?
    But the company asking for the money should know what and why. I'd be inclined to put this request in writing and ensure a written reply so you have something concrete to work with.
    And read your deeds throughly.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 June 2023 at 6:10PM
    Options
    When this happened to me, it was because the water supply to me and five other terraces runs up the alleyway and behind our properties along a private bit of land. Severn Trent’s responsibility stopped at the boundary. So even though the leak wasn’t directly on my property, it was a shared responsibility for the communal  pipework.
    The cost was because they had already repaired a couple of leaks so decided that all the pipework needed replacing along the path and into our backyard to our individual house supplies.
    If it does need doing, and you can find a private contractor that your water company will accept, you can get cheaper quotes and get it done yourselves. The issue that I had was that they all wanted one person ( me) to pay upfront and reclaim the money off the other people rather than billing each house individually. Which wasn’t going to happen. 
    In the end we got lucky. One branch of Severn  Trent didn’t know what the other  was doing, so they came and dug the whole lot up and replaced it free of  charge. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    elsien said:
    When this happened to me, it was because the water supply to me and five other terraces runs up the alleyway and behind our properties along a private bit of land. Severn Trent’s responsibility stopped at the boundary. So even though the leak wasn’t directly on my property, it was a shared responsibility for the communal  pipework.
    The cost was because they had already repaired a couple of leaks so decided that all the pipework needed replacing along the path and into our backyard to our individual house supplies.
    If it does need doing, and you can find a private contractor that your water company will accept, you can get cheaper quotes and get it done yourselves. The issue that I had was that they all wanted one person ( me) to pay upfront and reclaim the money off the other people rather than billing each house individually. Which wasn’t going to happen. 
    In the end we got lucky. One branch of Severn  Trent didn’t know what the other  was doing, so they came and dug the whole lot up and replaced it free of  charge. 
    It's the "supply pipe" running around the back of our gardens that needs replacing. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    elsien said:
    It's the "supply pipe" running around the back of our gardens that needs replacing. 
    It is likely a private pipe then, rather than one owned by the utilities. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback