We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Treated badly, at risk, new job offer!

I’ve been treated shabbily by a large company. They’ve been awful to work for and after the project I was working on didn’t need me anymore I am “at risk of redundancy” while they look for another role. 

Thing is, I was looking elsewhere anyway as I want to work for a company who treat staff better. happy to say I’ve just been offered another position somewhere else. 

I feel aggrieved about my previous treatment by the current firm, and would like to volunteer for the redundancy, rather than give my notice in. I’ve not worked there much more than 2 years and a payout would be small but I feel I’m owed it for all the rubbish I had to put up with!

I don’t know if I’m able to do this or how to put it if I do. Does anyone know? Thank you…

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    An employee with relatively short service and seeking a voluntary redundancy payment when no redundancies have actually been announced may signal to the employer that they have another job lined up. In any case the employer has little reason to agree to VR.

If you want to take up the job offered then just resign and do not dwell on what happened in the past.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 9,120 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Name Dropper
    I’ve been treated shabbily by a large company. They’ve been awful to work for and after the project I was working on didn’t need me anymore I am “at risk of redundancy” while they look for another role. 

Thing is, I was looking elsewhere anyway as I want to work for a company who treat staff better. happy to say I’ve just been offered another position somewhere else. 

I feel aggrieved about my previous treatment by the current firm, and would like to volunteer for the redundancy, rather than give my notice in. I’ve not worked there much more than 2 years and a payout would be small but I feel I’m owed it for all the rubbish I had to put up with!

I don’t know if I’m able to do this or how to put it if I do. Does anyone know? Thank you…
    Sorry but you are not really in a strong bargaining position here.

If they want to make you redundant they can (almost certainly perfectly lawfully providing they "tick the boxes") and your entitlement will be minimal. One to two weeks pay depending on your age plus your notice although they could insist you work it out rather than PILON).

To cover their backs, anything else would require a formal settlement agreement which would cost them money to have drawn up and pay towards your legal costs.

All you can really do is say to your manager (for him to kick up the food chain) give me a grand tax free plus my notice and I'll go now and see what they say.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.