Might have been scammed over payment for van pump, can I get the money back?

Options

I met a guy outside my local shop who works for local dpf cleaning mobile company, he cleaned the van for me on the side.  He plugged his computer in and it said dpf pump faulty.   He said he'd order it and fit it, but needed payment up front -£290 for it.  After talking to my mechanic I decided to go for it to Monzo bank, I transferred and have his name and address and transaction reference.   I called lloyds and they said leave it a week then we'll put in a fraud claim.   He said they may shut his online account, it's been a week but   Shall I go to his address?   I googled him and he has been was in the dock for non attendance for community service for assault on a woman.   The  he did call back last Monday and said he'd get the pump last Wed but haven't heard anything since.   He texted all the time before I paid and now nothing except one call a week ago.  Just feels fishy.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    textbook said:

I met a guy outside my local shop who works for local dpf cleaning mobile company, he cleaned the van for me on the side.  He plugged his computer in and it said dpf pump faulty.   He said he'd order it and fit it, but needed payment up front -£290 for it.  After talking to my mechanic I decided to go for it to Monzo bank, I transferred and have his name and address and transaction reference.   I called lloyds and they said leave it a week then we'll put in a fraud claim.   He said they may shut his online account, it's been a week but   Shall I go to his address?   I googled him and he has been was in the dock for non attendance for community service for assault on a woman.   The  he did call back last Monday and said he'd get the pump last Wed but haven't heard anything since.   He texted all the time before I paid and now nothing except one call a week ago.  Just feels fishy.
    It feels fishy now?  And not at either of the previous two points?

Since you have his name and address, small claims court is a route available to you, but if he didn't pay up with the threat of court and you actually had to go through with it, you'd have to explain why you willingly engaged with someone knowing they were defrauding their employer to your benefit.  Plus, from what you know of his previous record (and his initial dishonesty that hooked you in), is he someone likely to pay up even if you win?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think someone with that kind of history is going to lose sleep over the possibility of a CCJ, so small claims process may just be throwing more money away.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, lloyds can't refund money, they stated-  I didn't

check company or person was legitimate company by looking online for scam warnings (who does this?)

try a different payment method e.g. credit card  (who does this?)

ask the seller why they couldn't accept payment in alternative wy  (who asks this?)

seems like Lloyds just trying avoid paying it back.   I worry how many people have been done and these useless banks are not helping.  To add to this the 'fraud dept' had people who didn't understand what was going on when I explained my case.  Useless finally got a guy who did know what he was talking about though.  Basically if someone had lied and said they did above things, would they have paid?   Seems to me the vulnerable get scammed
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    textbook said:

I didn't

check company or person was legitimate company by looking online for scam warnings (who does this?)

It's not so much "looking for scam warnings" but checking that they do appear to actually exist and do legitimate business (e.g. if it's a limited company, is it registered at Companies House? How long have they been trading for? etc).
  • mr_stripey
    mr_stripey Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    textbook said:

ask the seller why they couldn't accept payment in alternative wy  (who asks this?)

seems like Lloyds just trying avoid paying it back.   I worry how many people have been done and these useless banks are not helping.  To add to this the 'fraud dept' had people who didn't understand what was going on when I explained my case.  Useless finally got a guy who did know what he was talking about though.  Basically if someone had lied and said they did above things, would they have paid?   Seems to me the vulnerable get scammed
    but you already knew if wasn't a legit company because the guy was doing it "on the side"

I don't think it so much the method of payment that is the issue but the fact he wanted the money up front which should have set alarm bells ringing

It is unfortunate you got scammed but even from your description of events there were more red flags thanMay Day in Moscow.

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,312 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    textbook said:

I’m obviously not a normal person then as yes I do check if the person I’m paying is legit. Just a few years back we went through several weeks of drawings and plans for a conservatory , went to pay our deposit and 1st instalment  and was told they were only taking bank transfers . We went back and forth with them for a few more days and then pulled out. 

We were not happy with paying several thousand pounds to a parent company (name differed in several places to the paperwork) we found another company, paid all the 1st instalment by credit card and then the rest by bank transfer once we saw the staged work being completed. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 June 2023 at 4:27PM
    Options
    For 200 quid  I'll get your money back, nod nod, wink wink. Just moneygram the readies.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure