Massive spike in electricity usage - Octopus Energy customer [Merged]

Comments

• MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Estimates are meaningless in the context of accurate billing. It is far better to re-post your table with actual meter readings and dates. This would give us a better overview of your annual usage.
    Agreed, just the actual meter readings and dates will be more helpful, the estimates add nothing useful.

• Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 26 May 2023 at 9:10AM
    QrizB said:
    Welcome to the forum.
    Can you share a poto of your meter, please, with the current reading?
    Nice to see you back my little one wants to share a picture of their poto but I fear I will be banned lol🤣🤣
  • reggie04
    reggie04 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    See data using only actual meter readings only. Fluctuations can mainly be explained by holidays and the weather (summer is higher than average as we used aircon units and we do use electric heaters in our office space and during cold snaps they are insanely expensive to run).

Also below are pictures of the meter. As you can see there is an error code rEd. The meter flashes between the reading and the error message. Octopus couldn't explain this (we don't have solar panels), and suggested it was a second-hand meter from a property that did have solar panels. This is not the case as far as we know. I'd never noticed the error message before the spike.

• CSI_Yorkshire
    CSI_Yorkshire Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Litigation prevents me going into details, but I am aware of a similar meter that had a similar glitch following disruption in the local grid.
  • Good advice from QrizB above.

The fact that the meter is displaying an error message, combined with its age, is a good indication that some kind of fault may have occurred, especially if this message has only appeared since the anomalous usage. 

This along with the sheer impracticality of the usage figures for such a short period  should be enough to put a case towards Octopus that the meter has at some point in time most likely not recorded your consumption correctly.

Ultimately you should pursue getting the meter replaced but ideally not before resolving the issue of the spike in readings, as this may complicate things if the old meter is removed and disposed of before the billing is rectified. If it’s agreed that there is a meter problem Octopus will probably want to replace it as part of the resolution anyway.

Make sure to get any important details of discussion with Octopus in writing and keep any relevant evidence e.g. any photos of the meter or past readings, should you need to rely on these later.
    Moo…
  • reggie04
    Thank you, it's reassuring that the consensus is that the reading is erroneous. So far my dealings with Octopus have failed to get them to accept it's any more than an unusual spike caused by a faulty fuse and/or appliance. I naively thought they'd take one look at the reading and accept it as a fault or an event outside of our control. My case has been transferred to the complaints department.

Thanks again
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2023 at 12:41PM
    Have Octopus downloaded all the historical information available via the optical port?
    That might reveal some interesting things, e.g. that the jump in the reading was instantaneous and occurred when there were lightning strikes in the area.
  • reggie04
    Gerry1 - no, at the moment Octopus hasn't really seriously engaged with the issue. I am hoping now it's with the complaints department they will take it more seriously. 
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 May 2023 at 3:31PM
    This is absolutely worth escalating until you can reach someone who’ll look at the matter with a bit more seriousness, bas level customer service people for energy suppliers can be a bit hit and miss in terms of helpfulness or ability to act.

You’d be pretty hard pressed to genuinely use 900kWh per day even as a high user, let alone sustain that over the best part of a month. If I turned on every single appliance I owned, ran the hot taps fully open, and blew all my heating outside for 24h I just might be able to push 350kWh ignoring any potential appliance safety cut outs.

Regardless, it’s a bit of a moot point if your house has a 100amp (or less) main fuse - you’re not going to be able to draw the amount of power in question here without blowing that.

Moo…
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure