PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Complicated!

Options
13»

Comments

• Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 May 2023 at 9:16AM
    Options
    I’m really curious as to how you have a property that is seemingly owned jointly with your parents yet your parents don’t appear to be party to the mortgage or the secured loan. 
    I wondered about that too, I looked at an earlier thread by Auntloo which I think partly explains.

During the pandemic Auntloo’s parents helped her and her sister (and respective families) by buying a house in which they could also temporarily own a share, and this helped everyone to relocate areas/jobs and provided continuity of childcare. All the funding came from sale of other properties, except that for their 30% share Auntloo and her partner needed a mortgage.

I assumed that as this was meant to be a short term arrangement, her father and sister (who she mentions were also named on the deeds) accepted they would be named on the mortgage. They may not be liable for the secured loan, which takes Auntloo/her OH’s borrowing against the property to the full 30% of its recent valuation of £700k.

Auntloo’s parents want to buy her/OH’s share for £175k which was 30% of the original price (thereby allowing Auntloo to clear the mortgage), and will also gift a c. 10% deposit for a more affordable house. I assume this reflects the original agreement/understanding. I’m not sure where her sister now stands/lives.

The issue is that Auntloo also needs to repay the £40k secured loan when they move, and can’t currently, and had not appreciated that it could not simply be secured on a new property unless there was equity to match.
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2023 at 10:22AM
    Options
    This is why I need advice!

Yes they are on the land registry and the deeds. So could we take our share of any equity and use that as a deposit if we could take our secured loan with us when we remortgage?
    Since my previous reply I looked at your previous posts about this and can see the situation is complicated mostly because this is family!

As your parents were trying to help, maybe it’s unfair to expect them to pay you the increase in the value of your 30% due to house price inflation. It’s unfortunate that you now need that to clear the secured loan.

Realistically has your financial position improved since you moved? Is the £40k debt because you are spending beyond your income? You could be exposing your parents and sister to risk if you don’t have a plan to extract yourself from the home.
  • Sarah1Mitty2
    Sarah1Mitty2 Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou. That makes sense. So my parents have said they will help us out with a deposit, we originally paid £582,000 for the house. How likely is it that we could port the mortgage? We are with NatWest. Also would the house have to actually go up for sale? 
    I`m assuming that was many years ago if it is now valued at 700k?
  • Sarah1Mitty2
    Sarah1Mitty2 Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    Options
    I think it will just be the £175k as we need to sort the secured loan so I’m hoping we can take it with us.

the house price range we are looking at is between £280k and £350k but not even sure if that’s doable?

we have a savings account but I need to shop around to get one with the best interest rates 
    Have you looked at money market funds?
  • Titus_Wadd
    Titus_Wadd Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think I'm going to be popular, and may sound like a cautious old biddy (probably some truth in that).
    I'm worried about the secured loan.  Has this come from home improvements?  The benefit of home improvements themselves only last while you're in that house...or as a factor in raising the value of the house after the loan is paid off in my experience.
    A couple of years ago OP, you were asking about consolidating personal debts considerably lower than the secured loan which is a concern.  I don't think I'd be looking to move or borrow anything more until that was nearly paid off.
    Whatever originally tempted you to move to live with extended family, including childcare supplied by the children's grandparents, chance to live in a larger house, albeit shared or whatever ... it seems something you may have to accept for a few years longer.  In theory your plan to get on the housing ladder should have made it easier to service existing debts or start saving regularly.  
    I can't comment on the way you might extricate your share of the family house, without knowing the details of any trusts created at the time of purchase.  Unless you can't stay because of an intolerable family dynamic, then I'd stay and work towards reducing your debts. 

Does your sister and family live there too? 
    Does the split of household expenses seem fair between the 6 adults?
    Which adults are named on the deeds a co-owners, which contribute towards a depositand/or mortgage payments? 
    A deed of trust apportioning % ownership? 

I'm probably still not able to help, but someone here might.  You're right it's very complicated!  I think the solution will involve further compromise and require patience.  I hope you find a reasonable way forward.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback