Broadband packages

Options
All the best broadband packages appear to be only for new broadband users?  I'm currently paying Virgin £86 a month, (which apparently has a discount of £27 applied until next November, when it will revert to £113 a month), yet Virgin appear to be able to offer new broadband users a similar package at around £35 a month! 

Comments

• JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    quinwin said:
    All the best broadband packages appear to be only for new broadband users?  I'm currently paying Virgin £86 a month, (which apparently has a discount of £27 applied until next November, when it will revert to £113 a month), yet Virgin appear to be able to offer new broadband users a similar package at around £35 a month! 
    I suspect that is not like for like.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your Virgin package is £86 , which is discounted from £113 , presumably you have TV , broadband and phone , the ‘new customer’ deal of £35 is for broadband only .
    At the price you are paying presumably you are also getting some ‘premium’ TV , like live sport and movies , if you are not you are paying way over the odds 
  • martin_hugh
    Options
    Yesterday I decided to switch from VirginMedia to Vodafone as Vodafone (via CityFibre) was offering me £25 p.m. for 24 months 100bps Full Fibre broadband plus an Amazon Fire HD Tablet if I switched to them. Virgin was charging me £45.25 p.m. for an equivalent, perhaps slightly less consistent, service. Virgin told me they couldn't do better than £37.50 p.m. but this morning they phoned me and offered me £20.00 p.m. for 18 months plus a speed increase to 250bps. Apparently this is because I've been a customer for a long time (since before VirginMedia took over Telewest) but I suspect they decided that £20.00 p.m. is better than nothing. Although I don't get the tablet incentive now, it is still worth staying - for 18 months at least (this is for Broadband + landline phone; I don't have their TV service).
  • bumface
    bumface Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yesterday I decided to switch from VirginMedia to Vodafone as Vodafone (via CityFibre) 
    was offering me £25 p.m. for 24 months 100bps Full Fibre
    That's exactly what I'm planning to do.  Did you have Vodafone lined up with an installation date before you got the last gasp offer from Virgin Media?
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yesterday I decided to switch from VirginMedia to Vodafone as Vodafone (via CityFibre) was offering me £25 p.m. for 24 months 100bps
    You could have gone for one that offers exceptional customer service and 150meg for £21 p/m, 500meg £27 p/m called Octaplus.
    They dont pay to advertise, so searches never list them. Shows up below.
    https://cityfibre.com/

• LouiseAH
    LouiseAH Posts: 66 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I decided to switch from VirginMedia to Vodafone as Vodafone (via CityFibre) was offering me £25 p.m. for 24 months 100bps Full Fibre broadband plus an Amazon Fire HD Tablet if I switched to them. Virgin was charging me £45.25 p.m. for an equivalent, perhaps slightly less consistent, service. Virgin told me they couldn't do better than £37.50 p.m. but this morning they phoned me and offered me £20.00 p.m. for 18 months plus a speed increase to 250bps. Apparently this is because I've been a customer for a long time (since before VirginMedia took over Telewest) but I suspect they decided that £20.00 p.m. is better than nothing. Although I don't get the tablet incentive now, it is still worth staying - for 18 months at least (this is for Broadband + landline phone; I don't have their TV service).
    Hi Martin, So Virgin Media offered you a 250bps broadband service and a phone line for £20.00 a month? 
  • Gillwh
    Gillwh Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    quinwin said:
    My virgin contract was due to rise from £24 to £51 a month from September 😳 after 3 hours of looking to change, I rang virgin & have secured the cost for another 18 months of £27 by adding on a landline - even though we won’t use one!!! Give them a call x
  • Travelmoons
    Travelmoons Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Onestream charging for router as a 'must have' add-on This meeds to be updated as does the annual cost... 
  • nuffznuff
    nuffznuff Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a good deal from Virgin - see thread Haggling with Virgin Media
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business