Out of contract and getting charged too much

Hi all,

I'm currently out of contract on my home broadband and getting charged way too much for the service I receive. My predicament is that I don't want to take out a long contract as I will be moving from my current address within the next six months and living with a friend for the foreseeable future who already has internet services at their property. I have spoken to my provider but they have no options for a better rate paying month by month or six monthly contract. Does anyone on the forum please have any ideas or suggestions ?

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can you use mobile broadband on 30 day rolling contract ??
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    willr15 said:
    Hi all,

I'm currently out of contract on my home broadband and getting charged way too much for the service I receive. My predicament is that I don't want to take out a long contract as I will be moving from my current address within the next six months and living with a friend for the foreseeable future who already has internet services at their property. I have spoken to my provider but they have no options for a better rate paying month by month or six monthly contract. Does anyone on the forum please have any ideas or suggestions ?
    NowTV do a monthly rolling contract but with the setup fees it could be you don't save much.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2023 at 8:20AM
    There isn’t anyone ( why would there be ) that will offer someone an out of contract price the same as the ‘inside a contract’ price , what would be in that arrangement for them ?
    There are companies that offer 30 day notice to quit contracts, but they are not going to be as cheap as a provider that can get a commitment from a customer for 12/24 months , any new provider that takes you on, will have set up costs that would normally be spread out over the minimum term (if you took a long minimum term) , if you can walk away after 30 days then that ISP would lose money because of those set up costs , if they didn’t have a different pricing model for ‘30 day contracts’ .

As stated , you either pay more with your existing ISP , or with a new ISP on a 30 day notice, but have the option to quit without penalty, take a new minimum term accepting there probably will be early termination charges when you leave, or use a mobile network solution.
    There won’t be a company that intentionally sets out to lose money on its customers, by giving the same price to customers that can walk away and customers they know are theirs for many months 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback