🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Where to Find Hot Springs in Europe for Backpacker?

Options
2»

Comments

• nachtvlinders
    nachtvlinders Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've posted previously for a trip to Turkey, and now wondering if there are better places to find springs that you can go to and getting there by public transport. I first had my first experience with springs when I went to Japan some years ago, and it was by chance, I'd never had expected how amazing they are in the way it gave me such a wonderful relaxing experience. I've not been abroad since, and now I'm thinking of basing my next trip with going to these in mind. The poster suggested a well-know spring in Turkey but having read lots of reviews, it was found that the springs were a disappointment for many as they were partially dried-up, water very muddy and overcrowded.
    If you are referring to my recommendation for Pammukhale, when I visited last December the only problem was the price of admission. I think it does get crowded during the afternoon in Summer, but even then you can visit the springs in the morning, the earlier the better. Maybe there are times of year when the water is muddy and/or partially dried up, a good guide should warn you.

Anyway, the Polish resort of Zakopane has a large and famous thermal spa, and is also a great base for country walking. It is about a two-hour bus ride from Krakow; is up in the mountains (the highest town in Poland); costs there are very reasonable and it is close to the border with Slovakia. There is a daily bus (four hours or so) over the mountains to Poprad in Slovakia.

Slovakia is also affordable and is a great place for mountain trekking. There is a system of mountain railways that starts at Poprad and serves many resorts, some of which have thermal spas. This link gives pictures of some thermal spas in Slovakia, including one that is in Poprad:
    https://littlebigslovakia.com/best-slovak-spa-thermal-parks-and-hot-springs/

Hey Voyager2002, 

Thanks for taking the time and effort to detail your advice. I'll certainly look into the other countries. The Pammukhale place sounds exhorbitant and don't fancy getting ripped off going there. I'll think about Iceland too, although going in summer, won't the ice have melted a lot? (Sorry for my ignorance about the weather there!)
    Iceland in summer is great - you said you wanted hot springs not ice :) When I was there we had an active volcano to go visit too. And the geysers etc.  But there's also amazing waterfalls and some of the best scenery I've ever seen. And a penis museum if that's your kind of thing haha. 

It's expensive though... can't avoid that. Not so much for accommodation but food is pricey. There's no McDonalds on Iceland because they couldn't make the prices work with local beef. But it's not stupid expensive ... it's fish and chips £15 expensive. It's not as bad as Oslo from my experience, for example. 

I also found Icelanders to be some of the best, mentalest eople you'll ever meet. As they said... Icelanders are the only people who run towards an erupting volcano! 

ETA: While I'm thinking, Iceland also has whale watching, dolphins, puffins etc. 
    Sounds like my cuppa tea, but the high costs is going to put me off a lot. I prefer to visit the beautiful landscapes, coast and historical sites - doing it all on foot and by public transport. I don't really like hot weather as it's very uncomfortable for me. 
    Re. Pammukhale - read on reviews that it can cost around £50 to get in - nah, I'd rather so elsewhere. 

Got a friend who's going to Izmir next week, so i'll await to hear from her travel stories and hope she'll have a nice time (she's booked into a package deal, which I don't go to as it's not my thing). 

Voyager2022: I hear that Poland is quite racist, so I'm not sure I want to go there. 
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Re. Pammukhale - read on reviews that it can cost around £50 to get in - nah, I'd rather so elsewhere. 

Got a friend who's going to Izmir next week, so i'll await to hear from her travel stories and hope she'll have a nice time (she's booked into a package deal, which I don't go to as it's not my thing). 

Voyager2022: I hear that Poland is quite racist, so I'm not sure I want to go there. 
    The admission fee for the main site at Pamukkale is actually 200 Turkish Lire, which was nearly 10 pounds when I visited and is rather less now.
    https://istanbulclues.com/pamukkale-hierapolis-entrance-fee-hours/

Izmir is near to some great places like the ruins of Ephesus, but a long way from Pamukkale.

Yes, Poland is certainly racist and sexist, although I did not notice anything when I was there (I am Jewish but have a white skin, and I think the main factor in my favour is that they know how to be polite to people who are putting money in their pockets). My Polish friends here in England say they could never live there again.

I have never heard anything bad about the people of Slovakia and really liked everyone I met there. The places I mentioned are close to the airport in Krakow, which is the most convenient way to get there. (You could fly into Bratislava, or Prague or Vienna, but would then have a full day on the train to get to Poprad.)
  • nachtvlinders
    Options

The admission fee for the main site at Pamukkale is actually 200 Turkish Lire, which was nearly 10 pounds when I visited and is rather less now.
    https://istanbulclues.com/pamukkale-hierapolis-entrance-fee-hours/

Izmir is near to some great places like the ruins of Ephesus, but a long way from Pamukkale.

Yes, Poland is certainly racist and sexist, although I did not notice anything when I was there (I am Jewish but have a white skin, and I think the main factor in my favour is that they know how to be polite to people who are putting money in their pockets). My Polish friends here in England say they could never live there again.

I have never heard anything bad about the people of Slovakia and really liked everyone I met there. The places I mentioned are close to the airport in Krakow, which is the most convenient way to get there. (You could fly into Bratislava, or Prague or Vienna, but would then have a full day on the train to get to Poprad.)
    Thanks for your patience. I don't come on this site very often - apologies. 

With all the heatwaves Europe is getting, I'll rethink about Turkey for later in the year. 

Iceland sounds wonderful. I'm not sure how much I'd need to budget for a 10 day min. holiday - do you think more than 1K? I'd like to travel around the country and stay in Airbnb places.  Is it easy to get around via public transport? 
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you're looking at something cheap when you get there, Georgia in the addition to the above is likely one to watch too. There are various sulfur baths in addition. 

I've paid as little as £36pp return from the UK with Wizz or Wizz/Ryanair mix with a stop in Poland, but as Wizz are the largest airline in Georgia there are quite a few connections that work. Flights are to Kutaisi but with bus connections running with flights to most of the country.
    💙💛 💔
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a little one near Molyvos, Lesbos.   There are several on the island.   The one near Molyvos has a hot bath house on  the beach.  Water is very hot but lovely when you are in..   The hot water runs out into the sea and you can sit in the stream for free :-)
  • rajendrash
    Options
    I totally get what you mean about wanting that amazing, chill experience like you had in Japan. As for me, it's all about finding that perfect spot where you can just unwind and soak up the good vibes.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure