Where to Find Hot Springs in Europe for Backpacker?

Options
I've posted previously for a trip to Turkey, and now wondering if there are better places to find springs that you can go to and getting there by public transport. I first had my first experience with springs when I went to Japan some years ago, and it was by chance, I'd never had expected how amazing they are in the way it gave me such a wonderful relaxing experience. I've not been abroad since, and now I'm thinking of basing my next trip with going to these in mind. The poster suggested a well-know spring in Turkey but having read lots of reviews, it was found that the springs were a disappointment for many as they were partially dried-up, water very muddy and overcrowded. The ones in Japan were mainly outdoors attached to hotels; some with various baths inside of varying "types" of minerals. All were very clean, not overcrowded, and the women were very respectful of each other (quiet, not loud conversations heard. 

Can anyone recommend somewhere, please - preferably, with a few to visit and not far to get to by public transport. 

Comments

• tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Springs aren't really my thing but Iceland would be a good place to start your research. It's an amazing place to visit though not cheap. 
  • Tucosalamanca
    Options
    The Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites and Tirol all have an abundance of hot springs and thermal spas.

Most places can be accessed by public transport but as they're in mountain locations a degree of planning will be required.

I haven't visited Iceland but assume that it might be the most straightforward option (as it's a big part of their tourism).

• onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poland has several thermal springs for example :

https://www.termabania.pl/en/how-to-get-there-page-171834

• annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,035 Forumite
    Options
    A previous colleague highly recommended Budapest for the hot springs
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Clive Myrie Italian Road Trip last week.  Hot springs at Saturnia in Tuscany.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've posted previously for a trip to Turkey, and now wondering if there are better places to find springs that you can go to and getting there by public transport. I first had my first experience with springs when I went to Japan some years ago, and it was by chance, I'd never had expected how amazing they are in the way it gave me such a wonderful relaxing experience. I've not been abroad since, and now I'm thinking of basing my next trip with going to these in mind. The poster suggested a well-know spring in Turkey but having read lots of reviews, it was found that the springs were a disappointment for many as they were partially dried-up, water very muddy and overcrowded.
    If you are referring to my recommendation for Pammukhale, when I visited last December the only problem was the price of admission. I think it does get crowded during the afternoon in Summer, but even then you can visit the springs in the morning, the earlier the better. Maybe there are times of year when the water is muddy and/or partially dried up, a good guide should warn you.

Anyway, the Polish resort of Zakopane has a large and famous thermal spa, and is also a great base for country walking. It is about a two-hour bus ride from Krakow; is up in the mountains (the highest town in Poland); costs there are very reasonable and it is close to the border with Slovakia. There is a daily bus (four hours or so) over the mountains to Poprad in Slovakia.

Slovakia is also affordable and is a great place for mountain trekking. There is a system of mountain railways that starts at Poprad and serves many resorts, some of which have thermal spas. This link gives pictures of some thermal spas in Slovakia, including one that is in Poprad:
    https://littlebigslovakia.com/best-slovak-spa-thermal-parks-and-hot-springs/

• nachtvlinders
    nachtvlinders Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've posted previously for a trip to Turkey, and now wondering if there are better places to find springs that you can go to and getting there by public transport. I first had my first experience with springs when I went to Japan some years ago, and it was by chance, I'd never had expected how amazing they are in the way it gave me such a wonderful relaxing experience. I've not been abroad since, and now I'm thinking of basing my next trip with going to these in mind. The poster suggested a well-know spring in Turkey but having read lots of reviews, it was found that the springs were a disappointment for many as they were partially dried-up, water very muddy and overcrowded.
    If you are referring to my recommendation for Pammukhale, when I visited last December the only problem was the price of admission. I think it does get crowded during the afternoon in Summer, but even then you can visit the springs in the morning, the earlier the better. Maybe there are times of year when the water is muddy and/or partially dried up, a good guide should warn you.

Anyway, the Polish resort of Zakopane has a large and famous thermal spa, and is also a great base for country walking. It is about a two-hour bus ride from Krakow; is up in the mountains (the highest town in Poland); costs there are very reasonable and it is close to the border with Slovakia. There is a daily bus (four hours or so) over the mountains to Poprad in Slovakia.

Slovakia is also affordable and is a great place for mountain trekking. There is a system of mountain railways that starts at Poprad and serves many resorts, some of which have thermal spas. This link gives pictures of some thermal spas in Slovakia, including one that is in Poprad:

Hey Voyager2002, 

Thanks for taking the time and effort to detail your advice. I'll certainly look into the other countries. The Pammukhale place sounds exhorbitant and don't fancy getting ripped off going there. I'll think about Iceland too, although going in summer, won't the ice have melted a lot? (Sorry for my ignorance about the weather there!)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks for taking the time and effort to detail your advice. I'll certainly look into the other countries. The Pammukhale place sounds exhorbitant and don't fancy getting ripped off going there. I'll think about Iceland too, although going in summer, won't the ice have melted a lot? (Sorry for my ignorance about the weather there!)

All I know about Iceland is that everything is incredibly expensive: my friend went once and said that a burger in the airport cost more than the air ticket! At least the prices you pay as a tourist are in line with what locals pay for everything, but the economy works in a way that makes costs high unless you have an Icelandic income.

Turkey is the opposite: trains and buses cost virtually nothing and outside tourist hotspots food and accommodation are very very reasonable. The costs at Pammukhale are much higher than elsewhere in the country but still very much lower than in England. I think I paid ten pounds for admission to the archaeological site, and after paying that I was annoyed that there was another fee (five or ten pounds) just for the hot spring. Rather than paying that I sneaked in and had a wonderfully enjoyable swim until I got caught (I then spoke Tagalog to the guard and so no consequences but I spent less time in the spring than I would have liked). Of course if you wanted to enjoy the hot spring at leisure you would just have to pay the full twenty pounds, but would still end up spending much less than for a trip to Iceland.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Closer to home in Luxembourg bordering France and Germany there's Mondorf les Bains and its Domaine Thermale, large pool partly covered with room to swim around and underwater jets at various heights. Easily accessible from the city Central Station.
    Tuscany is heaving with hot springs, in the South at least, such as Saturnia as mentioned, often with ancient Roman-built basins and small towns built up around with public transport links. Some are more wild and remote and require a car and perhaps a trek to access. Plenty of info available, such as:
    A general warning - beware of occasional crackdowns on parking at Saturnia and elsewhere, and be aware that such venues are targeted by thieves.
    Yesterday a Czech family with four young children had their car and all their clothes and belongings stolen while bathing at Petriolo (SI), leaving them stranded without even children's shoes. Fortunately today the car and belongings were recovered, minus cash and cards.

Evolution, not revolution
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2023 at 8:02PM
    Options

Hey Voyager2002, 

Iceland in summer is great - you said you wanted hot springs not ice :) When I was there we had an active volcano to go visit too. And the geysers etc.  But there's also amazing waterfalls and some of the best scenery I've ever seen. And a penis museum if that's your kind of thing haha. 

It's expensive though... can't avoid that. Not so much for accommodation but food is pricey. There's no McDonalds on Iceland because they couldn't make the prices work with local beef. But it's not stupid expensive ... it's fish and chips £15 expensive. It's not as bad as Oslo from my experience, for example. 

I also found Icelanders to be some of the best, mentalest people you'll ever meet. As they said... Icelanders are the only people who run towards an erupting volcano! 

ETA: While I'm thinking, Iceland also has whale watching, dolphins, puffins etc. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback