When to Apply For Probate?

Options
MysteryMan
MysteryMan Posts: 68 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 8 May 2023 at 2:50PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
I have filled in all the inheritance tax forms and will be posting those tomorrow. My calculations are that there is no tax to pay on the estate.

It says to wait 20 working days before applying for probate if there is tax to pay but, as there isn't, am I OK to apply now or is it best to wait for the 20 days?

Thanks

Comments

• Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May 2023 at 3:07PM
    Options
    Is there a reason you have completed paper forms rather than using the online process?  It can save a LOT of time.  You may not even need to submit IHT forms if it is an excepted estate, if so, you just input summary figures in the (online) application for probate.

The guidance is here https://www.gov.uk/valuing-estate-of-someone-who-died/check-type-of-estate
  • MysteryMan
    Options
    Is there a reason you have completed paper forms rather than using the online process?  It can save a LOT of time.  You may not even need to submit IHT forms if it is an excepted estate, if so, you just input summary figures in the (online) application for probate.

The guidance is here https://www.gov.uk/valuing-estate-of-someone-who-died/check-type-of-estate
    Thanks but, yes, it did need IHT400 and a bunch of other forms!
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 May 2023 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Our Solicitor told us the 20 days was to allow time for the IHT "department" to log stuff on to the system so the Probate application could be matched up with the IHT paperwork. 
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the aim of the 20 days is to allow HMRC time to create the taxation case files, so that HMCTS can connect up the probate case files. If you do the probate application online you tick a box to confirm the HMRC submission has been made. Recent experiences from people using this board suggest that anything that varies from the standard process tends to introduce delays, so that's the risk if you don't wait.  We found that the probate process was pretty quick - around a month.
  • MysteryMan
    Options
    Nearlyold said:
    Our Solicitor told us the 20 days was to allow time for the IHT "department" to log stuff on to the system so the Probate application could be matched up with the IHT paperwork. 
    Yes, that makes sense! I'll hold off for the 20 days, then!
  • Crafty_lily
    Options
    I am getting a bit confused, I won’t need to pay inheritance tax do I just move straigh5 onto probate or do 8 need to fill out IHT 400, because I read somewhere you don’t need to.
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am getting a bit confused, I won’t need to pay inheritance tax do I just move straigh5 onto probate or do 8 need to fill out IHT 400, because I read somewhere you don’t need to.
    It depends on the circumstances of the estate. Perhaps start a new thread and post your question with a few more details.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback