🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Brown bin was swallowed by the bin truck and the council don't want to know

Options

Comments

• currantbun2
    currantbun2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I think her contact is Head of Waste or something. I'll forward the council's reply to the councillor and ask her to follow it up.
    It is obvious the council IS calling me a liar. Annoying when we send them £2k a year!!

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I think her contact is Head of Waste or something. I'll forward the council's reply to the councillor and ask her to follow it up.
    It is obvious the council IS calling me a liar. Annoying when we send them £2k a year!!

I worked in Waste & Energy, the appropriate response to you was "I'm sorry this wasn't reported as the waste collector promised, a new one will be delivered by 'such & such' a date to your property".

To the councillor it would be "I'll arrange for a replacement to be delivered this afternoon!

There will be a specific councillor responsible for customer services as well.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • currantbun2
    Options
    I've now exhausted the council's complaints process, The council do not seem to have 'investigated' anything and simply repeat that without a card I cannot get a new bin. My councillor was no help at all. I simply don't believe that the bin trucks have a supply of cards or of they do they do not use them.
    The next stage is the Local Government Ombudsman, and I also plan to submit a FOI request to find out how many of these cards are printed and how many have been returned to the council by residents whose bins have been swallowed.
    Grrrrr.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,608 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The card excuse is crazy and completely unworkable, so no wonder it never happens.

When our bins get collected there could be 10-12 in a cul de sac, the binmen don't have a clue which bin belongs to which property so they wouldn't know which property's bin has gone missing.

• currantbun2
    Options
    I've reached the end of the road. The Ombudsman don't consider it appropriate to investigate - I guess this is small fry, so I'm a bin down and rather annoyed.
    Any ideas how I can get my revenge on the council? We spend a fortune on council tax and quite honestly the bins getting emptied is the only thing they do for us!
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I’d try the local MP - you appreciate that it is a devolved matter but the council and its contractors are clearly failing in their duties, and you’ve exhausted all other routes of complaint. An ombudsman that fails to investigate isn’t fit for purpose either. In a cost of living crisis they are effectively calling you a liar AND expecting you to pay them for doing it.
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    Options
    Buy an new bin then take them to small claims court to get your money back
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,728 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    or I guess we could make sure that at the end of the year our council tax is £22 short and see if they do anything about it.
    They most certainly would
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @currantbun2
                          Out of curiosity what have you been doing with your rubbish since last April.
  • currantbun2
    Options
    It's garden waste so we have a compost heap and haven't done too much weeding since then. We;re hoping to move out of London asap (house is on the market) can't wait to get away from this horrid place with cowboy council.....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure