Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 April 2023 at 4:35PM
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    the surgery has happened and was last Friday.
    no we cannot use any part of it at all.
    there is no way the steps can be managed with the surgery.
    It’s just not a runner and we wouldn’t be able to go anywhere anyway (you cannot leave a dog unattended) so we’d be stuck inside not to mention the accidents due to being confined and on lots of drugs.

any sale would be re-advertising by the holiday company so I’d expect a new booking and to be charged admin fees.
    I am not set up to advertise to sell to anyone.

the questions were

1) do they have to readvertise
    2) is there a link I can quote

otherwise it’s down to their goodwill.
    And to answer your question, if you cancel then they should attempt to re-sell it - which I guess is simply them making the dates available on the website again - to minimise their loss. But you didn't actually cancel it as far as I can see, they can't readvertise it until you actually formally cancel the booking. 

If you cancel at very late notice or after the booking was due to commence then I imagine they would have a good argument that it was too late to re-sell the holiday by the time they had processed the cancellation and re-advertised it. There's no obligation to go out of their way to help you, to prioritise your booking over others or otherwise expedite your issue just because it's at short notice. 
    It’s now been cancelled and re-advertised (after failing to give it away).
    The reason I didn’t do it straightaway is that we wanted one of our friends and family to have the opportunity to use it first as the chances of a re-booking are low.

If they can’t resell due to late notice then I completely agree with you.
    I was only asking that they try.
    Question 1) was whether they had to try and then refund (minus costs).
    I am not asking for any priority or special treatment.
    clearly I should have taken the travel extension on the pet insurance but hindsight is a wonderful thing as I didn’t realise non-emergency operations were available at the drop of a hat (they aren’t for humans).

I believe the answer to 2) is unfair term under consumer contract regulations (if they are rebooking and not refunding).

if they had said - yes we’ll try then that would be fair.
    if they say we’ll rebook and not refund you then I don’t think that’s fair or good customer service as they’ve benefitted for double payment for the same nights. Whether it could be enforced as an unfair term remains to be seen.

thanks for your help
    I accept it probably won't get rebooked anyway.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Self catering for a weekend is a lot of hassle for a short time.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber said:
    OT but it really isn't, buy some oven food or pasta and sauce and you're good to go - we did exactly this recently as a family of 4. Pizza, pasta, bread, cereal, simples. 
  • Lavendyr
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    lisyloo said:
    It’s just not a runner and we wouldn’t be able to go anywhere anyway (you cannot leave a dog unattended) so we’d be stuck inside not to mention the accidents due to being confined and on lots of drugs.

any sale would be re-advertising by the holiday company so I’d expect a new booking and to be charged admin fees.

the questions were

And to answer your question, if you cancel then they should attempt to re-sell it - which I guess is simply them making the dates available on the website again - to minimise their loss. But you didn't actually cancel it as far as I can see, they can't readvertise it until you actually formally cancel the booking. 

If you cancel at very late notice or after the booking was due to commence then I imagine they would have a good argument that it was too late to re-sell the holiday by the time they had processed the cancellation and re-advertised it. There's no obligation to go out of their way to help you, to prioritise your booking over others or otherwise expedite your issue just because it's at short notice. 
    The reason I didn’t do it straightaway is that we wanted one of our friends and family to have the opportunity to use it first as the chances of a re-booking are low.

clearly I should have taken the travel extension on the pet insurance but hindsight is a wonderful thing as I didn’t realise non-emergency operations were available at the drop of a hat (they aren’t for humans).

I believe the answer to 2) is unfair term under consumer contract regulations (if they are rebooking and not refunding).

if they say we’ll rebook and not refund you then I don’t think that’s fair or good customer service as they’ve benefitted for double payment for the same nights. Whether it could be enforced as an unfair term remains to be seen.

thanks for your help

OP are you absolutely certain your pet insurance doesn't cover holiday cancellation? I ask because I didn't think mine (Petplan) did, but had cause to check recently and was surprised to find that I was covered for up to £1,500 if holiday cancelled due to pet needing care.
  • sheramber
    Options
    Lavendyr said:
    sheramber said:
    OT but it really isn't, buy some oven food or pasta and sauce and you're good to go - we did exactly this recently as a family of 4. Pizza, pasta, bread, cereal, simples. 
    Each to their own 

• lisyloo
    edited 28 April 2023 at 8:32AM
    Options
    sheramber said:
    An awful lot of people would disagree with you.
    This place accepts dog and a lot of "dog people" would get takeaways rather than go out to fancy restaurants. 
    You cannot leave a dog unattended at a holiday cottage anyway.
    That's just one category.
    People on restricted budgets with a family might prefer self-catering or takeaways.
    Another category are people who are very particular about their diet whether medical or choice.
    The learning point is "each to their own".
  • lisyloo
    edited 28 April 2023 at 8:07AM
    Options
    Lavendyr said:
    lisyloo said:
    lisyloo said:

the questions were

thanks for your help

OP are you absolutely certain your pet insurance doesn't cover holiday cancellation? I ask because I didn't think mine (Petplan) did, but had cause to check recently and was surprised to find that I was covered for up to £1,500 if holiday cancelled due to pet needing care.
    Yes I'm positive - the "travel & holiday cover" extra is greyed out as I didn't choose it. That was an active choice.
    Fortunately we do have pre-existing conditions and a large limit.
    It was a conscious and thought out decision, it just wasn't perfect with the benefit of hindsight, but as I say I didn't realise they could do non-emergency canine surgery without planning a date in (as you would do for a human).
  • Lavendyr
    edited 30 April 2023 at 2:57AM
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Lavendyr said:
    sheramber said:
    Each to their own 

Indeed, the level of hassle is up to you. ...... but having done it, with a family, as I say - it doesn't have to be difficult. 
  • Lavendyr
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    Lavendyr said:
    lisyloo said:
    lisyloo said:

the questions were

thanks for your help

Yes I'm positive - the "travel & holiday cover" extra is greyed out as I didn't choose it. That was an active choice.
    Fortunately we do have pre-existing conditions and a large limit.
    It was a conscious and thought out decision, it just wasn't perfect with the benefit of hindsight, but as I say I didn't realise they could do non-emergency canine surgery without planning a date in (as you would do for a human).
    Ah shame - sorry :(
  • sheramber
    Options
    I have always self catered , with multiple dogs on occasion,  but arriving Saturday afternoon and vacating early Monday morning , and eating take ways is not my idea of a holiday.

As I said, each to their own.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure