Loss of mobile number.

Options
I have been with Vodaphone  for over 20 years but the price has steadily increased so decided to look around for a cheaper deal as encouraged to do so here at Money Saving expert. Examined the advertised and recommended deals and decided to go with Lebara who piggyback on Vodaphone but are half the price.So far so good.
HOWEVER the crunch comes when you try to transfer your number. Vodaphone refuses to allow you to port your number to any Company that uses their network. After over 20 years with the same number this is a bit of a wrench and this information is not available on this moneysavingsexpert site otherwise I would never have pursued the transfer knowing that I would lose my number!
I do feel that this information should have been highlighted when advertising the deals.
Comments please.

Comments

• Detail_Merchant
    Detail_Merchant Posts: 216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2023 at 1:52PM
    Options
    You don't mention getting, or trying to get a PAC code anywhere in your post.
    When you say "Vodaphone refuses to allow you to port your number to any Company that uses their network" what exactly do you mean? Normally it isn't up to the losing mobile provide decide this.
    If you did get a PAC from Vodafone, what happened when you supplied it to Lebara?
    PAC = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting_Authorisation_Code
    Just from a random search (so don't necessarily trust the site) - https://www.portnumber.co.uk/transfer/mobile/from-Vodafone/to-Lebara-Mobile - seems to imply using a PAC to keep your number when switching from Vodafone to Lebara should work
  • summer_daze009
    Options
    Vodafone can’t refuse to give you a PAC code or stop you porting a number to a different company that use their network. If that’s what you have been told then you have been misinformed. Do you have the code? What stage are you at? Have you received and activated your Lebara SIM card? Have you filled in the porting number form on the Lebara website?
  • Detail_Merchant
    Options
    Could be worth reading this thread - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6422182/cant-pac-from-vodafone-to-lebara - it sounds like some Vodafone customer service people have been misinforming people about this.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've successfully transferred multiple numbers from Vodafone to Lebara in the past.

Just text "PAC" on 65075 from your Vodafone number and enter the code Vodafone send on Lebara's number porting page.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robbosail said:
    I have been with Vodaphone  for over 20 years but the price has steadily increased so decided to look around for a cheaper deal as encouraged to do so here at Money Saving expert. Examined the advertised and recommended deals and decided to go with Lebara who piggyback on Vodaphone but are half the price.So far so good.
    HOWEVER the crunch comes when you try to transfer your number. Vodaphone refuses to allow you to port your number to any Company that uses their network. After over 20 years with the same number this is a bit of a wrench and this information is not available on this moneysavingsexpert site otherwise I would never have pursued the transfer knowing that I would lose my number!
    I do feel that this information should have been highlighted when advertising the deals.
    Comments please.

Then you're doing (or have done) something wrong.
    As above you need to request a PAC code and give that to Lebara.  Your number will then transfer to the new provider and you get an automatic text.

If you haven't requested a PAC code and you're just effectively cancelling your old service (which will disconnect your number) then its no surprise you've lost your number.  Its the same as texting STAC to 65075, only without actually texting STAC.

As for "this information is not available on this moneysavingsexpert [sic] site", what's this then?

There is no mention of Lebara from Vodafone because that is no different to switching from o2 to somebody who piggy backs onto o2.  You get a PAC and you give it to the provider.  If you don't do that then don't be surprised if you lose your number.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,082 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It seems vodafone cust service are trying to bluff customers out of porting to lebara (as lebara are their biggest threat as they use their network). Have you texted pac to 65075 from your vodafone sim?  They CAN refuse to issue a pac, but ONLY if they suspect identity fraud is taking place. Then you give the pac to lebara who transfer it to your sim.
    Can you still receive calls using your vodafone sim?
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,082 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2023 at 10:08PM
    Options
    So presumably you rang vodafone and told them you wanted to end your contract and move to lebara.
    They told you that if you moved to lebara you couldn't keep your number..
    So what had happened since?
    Have you already signed up to a lebara deal?
    Have you told vodafone to cancel your contract? (After they told you it would mean losing your number)
    If so what is the timescale? Has your vodafone service now terminated?
    A Pac is valid for 30 days and it is important to obtain one BEFORE terminating a service. If your service has only just terminated Vodafone might be able to retrieve your number before it is released for recycling, but that is tricky. It sounds as though you agreed to lose the number, albeit under a misillusion given to you by misinformation. If you have been adversely affected it might be worth contacting ofcom about dishonest practices.
  • Huynha
    Huynha Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    robbosail said:
    Comments please.
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. You can keep your number and use it with a different company
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 956 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Huynha said:

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. You can keep your number and use it with a different company
    This statement is of course completely true.

What is really being discussed in this thread is the reluctance or alleged deceit of Vofafone staff in informing customers that they are not allowed to move to a Vodafone MVNO.

The whole situation can be mitigated by not speaking to a human and simply texting PAC to 65075 to receive your code by text. There is no reason for Vodafone to know why you are leaving their network or indeed where you are moving to.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback