PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Camping/Picnic ideas (no fridge or cooking)

Options
As per the title, I'm going away for two nights/three days and I'll have access to cold water but no cooking or refrigeration. I might be able to boil water, but that's not guaranteed. 

I'm thinking I can make overnight oats in a flask with apple juice for breakfast, and take some fruit/jerky and hard cheese/crackers for lunch. I'll probably also make some flapjacks or rock cakes. 

I'd like to avoid the usual sarnies. I'm not a fan of taking hardboiled eggs (a bit messy and get sweaty), and pasta or rice at room temp for a couple of days seems like a bad idea.

So I'm struggling a bit for inspiration for dinner and would appreciate any suggestions. 
I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,872 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A really nice ploughmans with crusty bread
    pittas stuffed with tinned fish, beans and salad, potato salad
    charcuterie board
    cold cooked bacon, avocado and tomato wraps
    sushi for the first night if you have a cooler to take it in
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 April 2023 at 8:32PM
    Options
    Can you not take a cool box? I find that if I put things in that are frozen they take a day or two to defrost and keep everything else cool at the same time. I usually take a frozen milk for cereals and also because it stays cold longer than a cool pack. 
    So cheese, pasta etc is fine. I wouldn’t do rice as that’s too risky but potato salad or something? Anything cooked that you can freeze but is ok to eat cold.
    Packet of wraps and fillings? 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    elsien said:
    Can you not take a cool box? I find that if I put things in that are frozen they take a day or two to defrost and keep everything else cool at the same time. I usually take a frozen milk for cereals and also because it stays cold longer than a cool pack. 
    So cheese, pasta etc is fine. I wouldn’t do rice as that’s too risky but potato salad or something? Anything cooked that you can freeze but is ok to eat cold.
    Packet of wraps and fillings? 

I can't really take anything too bulky as I'm on foot with a rucksack so not really to the cool box. 

Before now I've taken a UHT carton of milk (or decanted into a bottle) but I'm not really a cereal person so this time I figured a UHT of apple juice would be more interesting. I can make up a tub of oats with fruit and nuts/chocolate/seeds and just soak it for half an hour in the juice before I want to eat.  

I've taken bread and wraps before but it can feel like a second lunch and just not be that satisfying. I was wondering if I was missing something obvious but I can just do that again and it's fine. 

Thanks for the suggestions :) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Take a couple of cup soups in case you can boil water as they won't take up much room if useless. Tuna and sweetcorn in tins. There used to be some kind of salami sausage that didn't need a fridge - in a green packet. i've looked but can't remember what it was called. Someone will.
    Good idea, flapjacks.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Take a frozen pasty. It should be defrosted by the evening. 
    Pot noodle if you have access to hot water. Or cup a soup is less bulky. With cheese and biscuits. 
    Breakfast bars, nuts, home made cake, porridge pots I have packed in my case. 
    Carr's cheese biscuits or Dr Karg's crackers both require no cheese and are tasty on the go snacks. 
    Tinned fish -DH like to pack a tin or two. 
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    Mmmm... sausage rolls or pasty sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that before :) 

Tinned fish I always worry about the tins (not having anywhere to throw them away) but maybe a pack of smoked mackerel would work. Light weight packaging when it's empty and less 'juice'?
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    I've been told that you can cold-soak cous-cous and instant mash, though I've not tried it.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,381 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have cold water I would decant concentrate into a smaller bottle (eg Roses lime cordial) rather than carry UHT juice.   Oatcakes, rye bread are good for carrying.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    get some pints of milk and freeze them.  That's then your cold bit sorted.  Add some cooked chicken (whole/half one from Asda? or chicken chunks from Aldi?)  a couple of baguettes. 

Can you take a portable/disposable bbq?  I know those are not loved by many but that's a nice way to cook a steak or heat something.  And is fairly lightweight. 

Overnight oats is good - even with milk/yoghurt will work if you add frozen fruit (Lidl raspberries work well).  I tend to pack a lot of museli bars as I like those.  Surely there will be others with more kit that will take pity on someone who doesn't have a lot as long as you have something to offer to their feast?  a couple of packs of shortbreads would get you a long way in my camp!!!

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,086 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GaleSF63 said:
    There used to be some kind of salami sausage that didn't need a fridge - in a green packet. i've looked but can't remember what it was called. Someone will.

Peperami ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure