Google Store Card Issue

Has anyone experienced problems trying to buy from the Google store?

I placed an order for a phone two weeks ago, when it was ready to ship, they tried to charge my Tesco credit card, but the payment failed, so I had a message to fix the payment. There's nothing wrong with my card, checked with Tesco themselves who said it's to do with the way Google present their 3D security(?) and to address the issue with them, which I did.

They had me clear cache and cookies, remove the card, reinstall the card , login logout, roll my trouser leg up and sing the national anthem, to pronounce it was definitely Tesco not them and to try another card. So I add an HSBC debit card, same problem. Then I add a Barclays debit card, same problem. Then I add a Coop debit card, same problem ... you see a pattern here :smile:

Google are still insisting the problem lies with all of these major UK banks and not them. In addition, a family member has just bought the exact same phone from Google with a Tesco credit card, with no issues. Still Google say it's the banks.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here, I had a great promotional price on my order, which I won't get again if I cancel and get someone else to buy it for me through their account. Anyone had the same experience (and hopefully resolved it)? Or suggestions of what might really be going on here?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Check the rest of your details on your account.

It may be an error or mismatch with your address or something else which is causing the failure.
  • caryn14
    caryn14 Posts: 34
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Check the rest of your details on your account.

It may be an error or mismatch with your address or something else which is causing the failure.
    Thanks for the input, sadly it's not that. I've already checked addresses etc, the Google chat help bod had me going around in circles checking everything. All the cards have been removed and added back in several times too on their instructions, I can't see anything wrong anywhere. Very frustrating.
  • Just had exactly the same experience with the Google store. Tried to purchase, problem with your card say google, call your bank. Call bank, its a problem with google, call them. Call google again, add card try purchase again, multiple times whilst they talk me through it.

After most of the morning on their support line eventually their support had to stop as they had tried to help me purchase a phone so many times that the Google store software thought I had attempted to buy the item too many times and locked me out!. Try again in 24 hours was the best the support could say, exasperating.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,686
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2023 at 12:22PM
    Try a different browser...

But why pay by Google store, linked to a CC. Bang goes S75 protection & creates a unrequired 3rd party for chargebacks..
    Life in the slow lane
  • I thought that as well, tried Edge and Chrome. Exactly the same issue on both, bizarre when Google and the bank are both saying categorically its  each others problem.
  • goater78
    goater78 Posts: 193
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    seems unlikely it is the google store as they would know if nobody could shop with them. Could be a PSD2 issue. Try again and when your payment is pending check your banking app to see if you have to approve the payment. 
  • Every attempt has gone through the banks 3DS system correctly (which includes approval). The bank are saying its the Google systems response to 3DS that is wrong and why the payment is not made.
  • Just had this response from Google.

Thank you for contacting Google Support. 

This is Nix from the Google Store Order management team.

I hope this email finds you well. I appreciate your time reaching us out and sharing the details of your concern with payment issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused you,  I manage to get information about the "3DS secure layer" which is not going through in our end. 

Dear Valued Customer, We would like to follow up on your recent order, which was put on hold due to the addition of 3DS secure layer to our payment processing system. We regret to inform you that we are unable to process your payment through our current system because we do not support 3DS secure protocol. 

3DS security protocol is a new regulation that is required for most types of internet payments made in the European Economic Area (EEA) and the United Kingdom (UK). This extra security layer is designed to protect customers against fraudulent transactions by requiring additional authentication during the payment process. 

Unfortunately, Google does not currently support the 3-D Security protocol, which means that we are not compliant with this new regulation. However, we would like to assure you that we are compliant with Level 1 of the Payment Card Industry standards.

As a result, we would like to recommend that you cancel your current order and place a new one using a different payment method or PayPal, if possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we want to ensure that your payment is processed securely and efficiently. 

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and we look forward to providing you with exceptional service in the future.

Your satisfaction is my top priority. Please don't hesitate to reply back to this email, I can be your personal support whenever you need me.Have a wonderful day and always take care! 

Thanks!
    Nix
    The Google Support Team

Google
    © Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043 USA
  • I had to remove the link in the signature, too new for links apparently.
  • caryn14
    caryn14 Posts: 34
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've had a total of 25 emails from Google, from 4 different people all saying exactly the same thing as your email above. They keep telling me to remove the cards, reinstate them and try again. None of this works.

I've tried Chrome, Incognito Chrome, Firefox and Edge, same result. Tesco bank, HSBC, Barclays and Coop bank are all saying they aren't blocking it, it's Google.

The last email I had Google told me to call my banks and tell them to stop using that security protocol, I kid you not!

My order has now been cancelled as it's now so overdue for payment, which means I've lost the promotional discount that made it attractive to buy from Google in the first place. So after almost 3 weeks, I've given up trying..

Strangely though, my daughter had a discount code from Google store emailed to her today, so has bought the phone for me through her account, using her Tesco credit card and has had the email to say the payment was successful and the phone has been dispatched. The very same bank credit card I tried to use. God knows   :|

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback