Fire escape ladder from 3 storey building conundrum.

Options
Hi,

Me and my son live on the top floor (3rd floor) of a new build apartment building. We have recently moved in and i bought a fire ladder, this one:

https://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/7.5m-fire-escape-ladder?attribute_values[1292]=11333&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuLShBhC_ARIsAFod4fI1RIO5QuZxbrAYKUwzFzCA7hcCZNknA9-nWmVUySVFvYob_AKa0SIaAvKREALw_wcB

Problem is, the depth of the window sill is too large and the hooks at the top of the ladder will not go around the window sill.
Anyone got any bright ideas about how i could attach this to something thats gonna have to hold about 130kg (me and my son)?
We got the one with the child harness, but what can i attach the ladder to? Cheers

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mrmagoo38 said:

Problem is, the depth of the window sill is too large and the hooks at the top of the ladder will not go around the window sill.
    It says 'MADE TO MEASURE' in the picture:

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot more money, but something like this is a much safer bet.

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ikar-rope-lifeline-controlled-descent-device/

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • mrmagoo38
    mrmagoo38 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    grumbler said:
    mrmagoo38 said:

It says 'MADE TO MEASURE' in the picture:

Nice, i will pull them up on that tomorrow...
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2023 at 10:51PM
    Options
    How deep is your window sill?  It says 'the window sill requires a maximum depth of 250mm. '
    Their other ladder is more expensive but says it will work up to 340mm https://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/firechief-three-storey-fire-escape-ladder#

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took the 'made to measure' to mean the height from the window to the ground. If your window sill is too wide then it's either cut it down or get another ladder. You could try and make something for the ladder to sit on should you ever need it, that sits inside the room to counter balance but seems a big faff.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I took the 'made to measure' to mean the height from the window to the ground. If your window sill is too wide then it's either cut it down or get another ladder. You could try and make something for the ladder to sit on should you ever need it, that sits inside the room to counter balance but seems a big faff.
    Before doing that, I would rig something up just a few feet from the ground, and check whether this ladder is something that you could contemplate using at a height of 25 feet. There’s no point having the thing, if you’re going to fall off. 

Rope ladders are notoriously difficult to use, and this flexible chain ladder may not be that much easier. I know it has standoffs, but it’s not likely to be at all easy to use. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,643 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Section62 said:
    mrmagoo38 said:

Me and my son live on the top floor (3rd floor) of a new build apartment building. We have recently moved in and i bought a fire ladder, this one:

Three storeys is a long way to fall, there is a high probability a fall from that height could be fatal to you and/or your son.

I can understand why someone might want an alternative means of escape, but beware of having something which is more likely to kill you than the smoke/fire you think you need to escape from.

If you really want to be safe get a professional to fit an appropriate means of escape with proper anchor points which have been proof tested.  Attempting a bodge could prove fatal.  Don't rely on something like a windowsill or possibly weak internal wall (especially not on a newbuild property) to provide adequate strength to support you and the ladder.  Also consider how difficult it is to climb out of a window onto a chain ladder, particularly if you are trying to do it in a stressful situation.
    Climbing out of a window at ground level is not that easy, especially with a toddler. It is essential you prove to yourself that whatever you fit can actually be used. Then imagine doing it from a smoke filled room.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• mrmagoo38
    Options
    Section62 said:
    mrmagoo38 said:

Three storeys is a long way to fall, there is a high probability a fall from that height could be fatal to you and/or your son.

I can understand why someone might want an alternative means of escape, but beware of having something which is more likely to kill you than the smoke/fire you think you need to escape from.

If you really want to be safe get a professional to fit an appropriate means of escape with proper anchor points which have been proof tested.  Attempting a bodge could prove fatal.  Don't rely on something like a windowsill or possibly weak internal wall (especially not on a newbuild property) to provide adequate strength to support you and the ladder.  Also consider how difficult it is to climb out of a window onto a chain ladder, particularly if you are trying to do it in a stressful situation.
    I get what you're saying, ive had those thoughts, but thanks. We'd only use the ladder as a last resort. The fire service are coming round this evening to do a requested safety check up. I will ask them about the ladder, the guy i spoke with on the phone from the fire service said that fires are usually designed to be contained to the flats when they occur and that they advise people to close all doors and go to the farthest room from the flats front door and await to be rescued. But i like to have some autonomy in these situations, i dont like being so dependant on other people, its just the way i am. Yes, the fall from that height would definitely be fatal, ive obviously looked down from the window, and as you say, it would certainly be fatal. But if the fire wasnt contained and spread (not impossible according to the bloke i spoke to) and the fire service were not quick enough to respond, id like to have another means of exit. The difference between 2 storeys and 3 is quite drastic, from 2 storeys you'd probably break a lot of bones and possibly be paralysed, but you have a 60% (guess) chance of survival i reckon. From 3 storeys, forget it, no chance.
    So yeah, perhaps getting my money back for this thing and getting something better is the answer. I wouldnt trust my balance climbing out of the window with my 20kg son attached to the front of me (with the harness) as i navigate onto a ladder 3 storeys up and attached to a window sill.
    Yeah, no...
  • mrmagoo38
    Options
    I might fork out for one of those controlled descent devices, hopefully wont ever need to use it. Then maybe we can sell it at half price of something when we move to a ground floor place
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback