75 minutes to get connecting flight from London to USA

2pints
2pints Posts: 34 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Wife recieved an email from BA recently to let her know that the flight from Gatwick to Orlando is leaving 20 minutes earler than originally booked for, we now have 75 minutes from arriving at Gatwick from Glasgow to get the US flight. Assuming no delays leaving/arriving, is this doable?

Thanks

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you flying on a through ticket or two tickets and is it BA you are going to Gatwick with?    
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Assuming you're on a through ticket all with BA, then they wouldn't offer the connection if it exceeded their minimum connecting time.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/airport-information/flight-connections#
    All British Airways flights operate from London Gatwick South Terminal.

[...]

UK, Republic of Ireland or Channel Islands arrivals to international destinations

• On arrival, follow the signs to International Flight connections.
    • You must be at your boarding gate at least 20 minutes before your flight's scheduled departure time or you will not be accepted for travel.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    2pints said:
    Wife recieved an email from BA recently to let her know that the flight from Gatwick to Orlando is leaving 20 minutes earler than originally booked for, we now have 75 minutes from arriving at Gatwick from Glasgow to get the US flight. Assuming no delays leaving/arriving, is this doable?
    Depends on if its a through ticket and so you just go the transfer route and then if you are flying in/out the same terminal or if you have two separate tickets in which case you'd have to collect your bags, check them back in, possibly transfer terminal, go through security etc.

The former is doable the later very unlikely. With the former if it doesnt work then BA have to sort it out, if the later its your problem to solve.
  • Here is the Gatwick airport's take on timings

Separate tickets and you have no chance.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• 2pints
    2pints Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Glasgow to Orlando via Gatwick, all tickets booked through BA and arrive/leave same terminal. Arrive Gatwick at 9.25 and leave Gatwick originally at 11:00, now departing 10:40.

Cheers.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Is it one ticket or two?
    If two, I would say don't do it.
    If it is one, you could do it, but you might be rushing or stressing about it.

I personally wouldn't risk it either way to be honest, and I actively avoid short connections.

I have been to the USA a lot of times (and travelled all over the world solo), and anytime I had a short connection, I was either running to the gate (which I can't do anymore due to disability) or I was mega stressed about it and still had to rush.
    For me, I hate the extra stress and worry, especially if one flight is late as that can ruin it all.

I personally wouldn't do it, but if they sell it like that, they think it can be done otherwise they wouldn't sell it, so you should be able to do it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yes doable. 
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Last time we were at Gatwick (Jan) it took nearly an hour just to get our luggage.
    So if you have to collect luggage and check it back in then you have no hope.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you are ticketed through and not changing terminals then MCT is 60 minutes and it's a legal connection
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think there is only the only flight from Glasgow so there is no choice. On one ticket, if the plane from GLA is late, BA will transfer you to Heathrow and put you on an alternative flight, which admittedly might involve another transfer in the US but they won't strand you!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback