We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DPD Local - Not Again!

Options
I was wondering whether anyone else has had poor experiences with DPD Local and managed to get resolution?

DPD Local were due to deliver a package that I had specially ordered to arrive in advance of the Easter weekend.

I received a notification from DPD that they had tried but were unable to deliver my parcel on Thursday evening
- despite my neighbours being at home, and whom I had authorised DPD to deliver to
- no CCTV evidence that anyone had called at my property.

DPD indicate that they cannot deliver till Tuesday after Easter. Not much help for an item needed this weekend.

To make matters worse:
- DPD have suppressed any contact numbers on their website
- their online message service fails with an error. 

Comments

• tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What resolution are you looking for? Absent a time machine they can't get you the item before Tuesday. 

Did you pay DPD for a specified date of delivery? If so what are the terms of that contract? If not then you have no claim.
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you book and pay for DPD directly or did you pay a retailer who sub-contracted to them?

If the latter it is the retailer all your rights are with, as you have no contract with DPD.

That being said, if it shows as back at a depot they are normally pretty good at allowing collection if you have a tracking number and ID.
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For me the DPD service or should I say Non Service is an absolute nightmare. I bought a new Vacuum cleaner along with special attachments and a new cordless vacuum go with it as a gift. Unfortunately the person I bought it for was killed in a road accident the day before I received the parcel. After "uming and ahhing" for about a week I decided to return the unopened parcel (by the way the parcel was massive and only just fitted through my front door: and it was really heavy). The seller arranged a return by DPD, their was a £15 charge for this. Anyway I waited on the allotted day and time for the collection. At the end of the day there was no sign of the DPD. I looked on their side and at my Tracking number and their was a message " parcel was not ready for collection "!!!!!!!!. Just to mention I have a doorbell with a camera. 
    A second collection was arranged. I waited and waited again. No DPD. This time the message was " There was no parcel to collect from this address ". A THIRD collection was arranged for yesterday. Guess what! No sign of DPD and no collection and of course, as before, nobody on my doorbell camera. The third message on the DPD website was "The parcel was not ready to collect ".......
     When I phoned the (very reputable)seller again, the call centre line being ,as before, in some faraway location with an extremely bad phone service/line and explained everything AGAIN in detail they suggested that I take the massive parcel myself to one of the DPD collection points. There is a reason that I paid for a collection, firstly no transport and secondly I am disabled and in a wheelchair. 

I just don't know what to do anymore ( perhaps push it out of my front door and hope that some one comes and steals the parcel) the only problem with that is that the parcel is blocking my access)

Sorry this is so long 

:smileyheaMagenta
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 July 2023 at 6:42PM
    Options
    You say the seller arranged a return by DPD so they agreed to the return.

Did you receive your refund within 14 days of that agreement?

ETA It sounds to me that DPD have been given the wrong address by the seller, eg. they have 3 times gone to 24 instead of 42
  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @Magenta - when they sorted out the pick up - did they email you details? I assume they probably did for you to get the tracking details. 

I would check the address with them and confirm via text form; or if not possible then at least confirm with absolute precision. I would’ve expected that they would have access to customer orders on their system but sometimes they don’t necessarily check the system/have limited access. 

I think, as Alderbank said, it’s like human error. If you can - call them up and try and get another booking for collection. Even call DPD to confirm the address with them (they may or may not give the address and may or may not change the address - likely depends on the person on the other end). 

I have worked in customer service before and stuff like this happens routinely. Especially when the lines bad. You try to prevent with double and triple checking but sometimes it just slips through. 

I hope it gets sorted! 
  • Magenta
    Options
    @refluent Thanks for your reply. I have tried  everything to contact them directly and have just gone round and round in circles and got nowhere.  :'(
  • RefluentBeans
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @magenta I’m sorry to hear that. When you say them - do you mean the seller or DPD? 

If all else fails - could you ask someone to help you return to a drop off point? I know that’s really not ideal - but that may be the quickest method of resolving the issue. 
  • Magenta
    edited 18 July 2023 at 8:29AM
    Options
    Hi there,  The seller just keeps arranging for the collection, not really seeming  to believe what I tell them about DPD never turning up. As for DPD there seems to be no way to contact them directly, no phone number, no correct email address to get to them!! Unfortunately I don't know anyone who can help with taking the parcel to a drop off point. I keep repeating my address to the seller but as I said their call centre is in another country, it is almost impossible for me to hear what they say and vice versa and they don't really speak English. When I tell them that DPD never arrived their answer is that I must stay in my home and wait for them!!!!!! I have also repeatedly told them that I have a doorbell camera and nobody appears on it x 3 when they say that they have spoken to me...... >:) It's unbelievable and completely unacceptable. 
    I am hoping that Royal Mail or Parcelforce do collections from my home, fingers crossed. 
    Thanks  for your help.  :)
  • RefluentBeans
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That is a real shame you’re still having issues. I’ve used RoyalMail before - they collect from most people for free and can bring a label with them so avoids any issues with not having a label printer. If you’ve got the return address, then it should be fine. Just be sure to select right weight etc from them and insure to the correct amount. Also make sure to get one that’s a signed for delivery. Then you can contact the company and say you’ve sent the parcel back via Royal Mail and confirm when it’s delivered. 

I hope it works out this time! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure