promotion at work

Hello MoneySaving,

I have been working for an organization for quite some-time now as an analysis. In the department there are one manager and 4 analyses. I have been with the organization for 15 years, (the longest member), the other analysis 10, 2  and 1 years service.

Traditionally analysis’s are graded first, second and 3rd line support, we are none of these, we are all classed as first line support regardless of experience.

Recently, one of my colleagues was handed a senior analysis position, there was no advertising of this new role, no interview etc. My question is, can the organization promote an individual without firstly, advertising the position, interviewing applicants before appointing a person to the new role?

Thanks
STA

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Simple answer - Yes they can.  Unless you can prove that the promotion was discriminatory, there is nothing you can do.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
     can the organization promote an individual without firstly, advertising the position, interviewing applicants before appointing a person to the new role?
    Thanks
    STA

Yes, unless they have the policy that all promotion opportunities must be open to all
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Andy_L said:
     can the organization promote an individual without firstly, advertising the position, interviewing applicants before appointing a person to the new role?
    Thanks
    STA

Yes, unless they have the policy that all promotion opportunities must be open to all
    Even if it is a company policy, it would almost certainly be "discretionary" and incredibly unlikely to be a hard and fast contractual entitlement.
  • TELLIT01
    Just to add to my previous comment.  I gained promotion at several employers without the jobs being advertised. I was simply asked if I wanted the role.  All in the private sector, as public sector often have their own requirements for jobs to be advertised internally and externally even if they have already decided who is going to get the job.  I saw that scenario more than once.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TELLIT01 said:
    Just to add to my previous comment.  I gained promotion at several employers without the jobs being advertised. I was simply asked if I wanted the role.  All in the private sector, as public sector often have their own requirements for jobs to be advertised internally and externally even if they have already decided who is going to get the job.  I saw that scenario more than once.
    When I was in the CS, my first promotion was my manager saying to me at 4.00 pm "there's a promotion vacancy in X office (a town 60 miles away). Do you want it? Let me know by tomorrow" !.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • TELLIT01
    edited 6 April 2023 at 5:07PM
    TELLIT01 said:
    When I was in the CS, my first promotion was my manager saying to me at 4.00 pm "there's a promotion vacancy in X office (a town 60 miles away). Do you want it? Let me know by tomorrow" !.

That sounds like a sensible manager taking the pragmatic approach to filling a role.  More power to people like that.  I once applied for a role which required two very specific and totally unrelated skillset, which I had.  I must have been one of very few who could make that claim.  I had a letter within a week saying my application had been unsuccessful so I contacted their HR department to express my surprise.  They waffled on a bit trying to explain/justify the decision.  I then asked directly if they had been forced to advertise externally despite already having identified an internal candidate.  The response was "I can't answer that question", which actually did answer the question.
  • StevenB12
    StevenB12 Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Unfortunately yes.

This doesn't happen so much at my current place as they advertise internal positions and external positions, although even at times the jobs are already filled, they will still advertise it. 

At my last job I was asked on a Monday if I wanted to become supervisor, and by Tuesday I was, no job was advertised etc, no one else was asked. 

Although a lot of companies still advertised their positions both internal and external, you can be promoted at the drop of a hat without it having to be 'official' in that sense. 
  • It doesn't seem like a fair process. It might be time to move on to a different company for the promotion.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    TELLIT01 said:
    TELLIT01 said:

That sounds like a sensible manager taking the pragmatic approach to filling a role.  More power to people like that.  I once applied for a role which required two very specific and totally unrelated skillset, which I had.  I must have been one of very few who could make that claim.  I had a letter within a week saying my application had been unsuccessful so I contacted their HR department to express my surprise.  They waffled on a bit trying to explain/justify the decision.  I then asked directly if they had been forced to advertise externally despite already having identified an internal candidate.  The response was "I can't answer that question", which actually did answer the question.
    That's an unusual situation for a permanent CS promotion, a 6 month temporary promotion more likely but substantive promotions normally require a competitive application and interview process.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TELLIT01 said:
    TELLIT01 said:

or it could be nepotism
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure