Chase Bank - id issues

Options
Just to let people know I've had all sorts of problems trying to get my photo ID verified using the Chase App that eventually gave up. Has anybody else had the same problem? 

Comments

• refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 April 2023 at 1:14PM
    Options
    It's been a while since I applied - did that involve taking a selfie and photo of your driving license or passport ? I had no issues when I applied last year, but I seem to recall others having problems.

Do you still look like your ID ? I've a feeling the check is automatic so it's possible that some are approved straight away, some may need to be checked manually and some might be immediately rejected.

If you have both a license and passport, it'll obviously be worth trying both and taking a selfie that looks as similar as you can get it.
  • JacJac1
    JacJac1 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I had huge issues and gave up in the end, just wouldn't accept my passport photo. I wanted to open an account for the fee free foreign currency spending but ended up going with Starling instead.  Their account opening and ID checks took less than 5 mins!
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It was a year ago when I joined, took 2 hours or so for it to accept the selfie.
    Then 2 days to open the account.
  • jaypers
    jaypers Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    There was an issue when Apple released IOS 16 and Chase had to work on a fix. Maybe unlikely but make sure you have the very latest version of the Chase App.
  • valiant24
    valiant24 Posts: 384 Forumite
    Options
    Just to let people know I've had all sorts of problems trying to get my photo ID verified using the Chase App that eventually gave up. Has anybody else had the same problem? 
    I had no problems but my wife tried too and couldn't get past the automated verification.   They provide no way of asking someone to help, so she just gave up.
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2023 at 2:31PM
    Options
    I also had problems a year ago trying to photograph my driving licence with lots of annoying nags ... too dark, too shiny, move the camera closer ... what a faff, which repeated a couple of months later when my phone Android 10 crashed (lots of hieroglyphics) whilst I was in the app and I had to re-register.

I haven't had a problem getting through to them on the phone though and after my problems the agent said he would mark my account as verified and not to ask for photo-id again. Good as gold since. 
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,378 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2023 at 6:53PM
    Options
    Yes, I must have tried photographing my ID around twenty times.  As mentioned by @dealboy, too dark or too bright, too shiny, move closer, move further away, too ugly.. I tried all manner of lighting, backgrounds, angles, driving licence, passport. Success came by propping my ID against a pale brown background, lent at 36 degrees with dimmed lights, taking the photograph whilst standing on one leg with my tongue hanging out to the right. I jest of course but it felt like it.

To sum up, it was a bit of a faff. If it wasn't for their market leading, at that time, interest on their savings account I would have given up long before. I certainly wouldn't go through all that to open one with what they are currently offering.

• ncritchley
    ncritchley Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    OH boy. I'm now on my 12th attempt. I've tried driving license, UK passport, ID card, all in date and all in vain. AI? I don't think so. 
    Any idea how to resolve this anyone?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mine went through after multiple attempts when I originally opened the account but when I had to reinstall the app on a new phone I gave up after the same number of attempts as you. I phoned them (they answer quickly and are helpful) the CSR guy marked my most recent attempt for manual verification. It was accepted midday the next day
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    Tried for the first time a year ago. Was unable to sort out ID issue. Tried again in December. The same problem.  Promised myself to stay clear from anything app-only.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback