Thames Water want a list of my income and outgoings!

Options
janb5
janb5 Posts: 2,621 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
I have had a water meter for about 7 years.  I was paying £15 a month for the last three years and suddenly noticed that the direct debit was going up to £51.  When I tried to contact them they have stated that they want a list of my income and outgoings so they can assess `affordability`  I think this is bullying and unnecessary.  I`m happy to pay more but I think they shouldn't be allowed to look at my private affairs.  I am solvent , have no debt.  

So now I have to wait for another manager to get in contact but if that fails should I go to Ofwat?

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    janb5 said:
    I have had a water meter for about 7 years.  I was paying £15 a month for the last three years and suddenly noticed that the direct debit was going up to £51.  When I tried to contact them they have stated that they want a list of my income and outgoings so they can assess `affordability`  I think this is bullying and unnecessary.  I`m happy to pay more but I think they shouldn't be allowed to look at my private affairs.  I am solvent , have no debt.  

So now I have to wait for another manager to get in contact but if that fails should I go to Ofwat?
    Lacking the full information I will make a few guesses, the £15 pcm did not cover your usage, you have built up a debt. The increase to £51 pcm is to cover both ongoing usage and repay the debt. You contacted them and likely told them that it was "unaffordable", on that basis and before they can offer you any potential concessions on the debt they need to see the state of your finances. 

You have two options, one is to pay the bills, or two is that if you wish to potentially have some of the debt written off then you need to share the I information with them. The choice is yours.

It is not them trying to meddle in your "private affairs", there are no grounds for a complaint, they are actually doing what they are required to do by Ofwat which is to attempt to assist customers who say that their debt is unaffordable.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have never said it was unaffordable and I agree with what you have said but not the way they have done it.  I certainly am not going to provide my outgoings etc.  Thames Water have access to my meter so think they should really do meter readings more frequently than suddenly raise the bill so dramatically.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    janb5 said:
    I have never said it was unaffordable and I agree with what you have said but not the way they have done it.  I certainly am not going to provide my outgoings etc.  Thames Water have access to my meter so think they should really do meter readings more frequently than suddenly raise the bill so dramatically.
    They ma have taken something you said that way as that is why they ask for that information, they will have no issue with you not providing that information. All meter reads for non-smart meter reads have been far less frequent than historically, they used to read once a year but I think it is now less frequent, although you can always submit one yourself (I do so monthly) to help you keep on top of costs. They have had to raise the Direct Debit to cover usage and clear te debt in twelve months, when that is a debt then that is the process they are required to follow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback