Considering buying house on Bulk LPG metered estate

Hi all!

We are contemplating putting an offer on a house that's on an LPG metered estate (in Scotland). I wondered if any of you might have some details on the usual contractual arrangements that are in place, particularly how someone on a metered estate might be able to 'move off'.

For context, the house was built as part of a new build development about 10 years ago, when (at that point) there was no mains gas in the area / it would have cost to much to connect. So a LPG metered estate was set up, with around 20 households on the network. 

There's now mains gas in the area, which other new builds in the area are connecting to. I even checked with the GDN and got an initial quote to connect (subject to site survey etc). All technically feasible.

I asked the current owner some questions and he was super helpful.

It sounds like the houses on the LPG network considered moving to mains gas, but some said no - and it would require 100% agreement from all occupants in order to move off. 

Is this the normal set up for a bulk LPG contract / metered estate? Ie if one person wants to opt for an alternative heating source - it's near impossible unless everyone agrees? Is anyone else in this arrangement?

Obviously we're counting to research and ask questions etc - but would welcome any initial views about the risk of buying a house on an LPG metered estate and getting trapped! 

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A bulk LPG tank is reputed to have a lifespan of 30 years and there would be the decommissioning costs to consider as well.

With the move towards hydrogen ready boilers would the present setup be a advantage is one area to look into.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback