Passport help

Morning All,

Need a bit of reassurance as i think i messed up. I renewed my Husband, 2 sons and daughters passport last week. I had confirmation of all but one of my son's.

I have now noticed that his was not due to be renewed until May 2024, i thought it was March 2024, wanted to get them done early/same time so they have the same time remaining on them.

Now i am worried they are going to keep my other sons or not renew it. I don't know what they do if there is more than a year left. Has anyone else been in this position? thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,351 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They just renew it... I am guessing you mean 2023 rather than 2024? Many will have already renewed at May 2023 expiring passport because of the need for X months of validity left when entering certain countries.

You could renew it 5 years early if you wanted, eg if you ran out of pages, you're just losing 50% of the cost/duration.
  • Jess23x
    Jess23x Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ugh i wish i meant 2023 but no, his runs out may 2024, i just presumed it would be ok to renew all at the same time to make it easier for us as a family and we were also planning a trip later in the year and in some places you need 6 months left.

I hope i haven't done the wrong thing, i am just so worried as we have had confirmation the other 3 are being printed and not his
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I'm in the process of renewing the passports for my wife and myself.  I had confirmation of processing of my passport last Saturday but only received confirmation for my wife's today.  Although they all arrived together they clearly aren't all processed as a batch.  I wouldn't worry yet.
  • DullGreyGuy
    Jess23x said:
    ugh i wish i meant 2023 but no, his runs out may 2024, i just presumed it would be ok to renew all at the same time to make it easier for us as a family and we were also planning a trip later in the year and in some places you need 6 months left.

I hope i haven't done the wrong thing, i am just so worried as we have had confirmation the other 3 are being printed and not his
    Yes, you can renew whenever you want. 

Since Brexit, so needing stamps in the EU a 34 page standard passport is really not going to last 10 years before its full. A friend is currently going weekly and if it lasts 3 years they'll be lucky and then forced to renew early.
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Can you still add pages to a passport or did I just imagine that ever being a thing? I know you can order a bigger one to start but I'm sure you used to be able to get some more pages stuck in.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jess23x said:

Since Brexit, so needing stamps in the EU a 34 page standard passport is really not going to last 10 years before its full. A friend is currently going weekly and if it lasts 3 years they'll be lucky and then forced to renew early.
    Stamps in the EU will become a thing of the past soon as they move to a digitised system. Later this year I think is the current estimate. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Further to my comment above, I received confirmation today that my wife's new passport has been printed.  That's a week and a half after mine despite both old passports being in the same envelope and confirmed as received on the same day.
  • ZaSa1418
    ZaSa1418 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jess23x said:

They will renew his. Did you have to send all your 'old' passports to the same passport office. When i renewed mine, my husbands and 3 of our 4 childrens they all went to different passport offices and some got renewed quicker than others but were all done within about 3 weeks.  
    LBM Debt Total : £48,326.50

Pay All Your Debt Off By Xmas 2023 - #50  £1,495.29 / £12,000.00
    Saving For Christmas 2023 - £1 a day challenge - #6 £100/£1095.00
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you still add pages to a passport or did I just imagine that ever being a thing? I know you can order a bigger one to start but I'm sure you used to be able to get some more pages stuck in.
    No you can’t add pages but you can get a passport with extra pages if you travel a lot and use up the pages before the expiry date.
  • DullGreyGuy
    Not on British passports... you can get a larger one to start off with and can even have a second passport (we are one of the very few in the world allowing that). You cannot get a British passport expanded.

I dont know of any other country where they do allow it but each country can set its own rules and so in theory someone somewhere does. Mrs' non-UK passport expired many years ago and they didn't have new blank passports so they put an "extension" in which was little more than a photo sellotaped in and a hand written note saying the new expiration was in 5 years time. 

bagand96 said:
    Jess23x said:

Stamps in the EU will become a thing of the past soon as they move to a digitised system. Later this year I think is the current estimate. 
    I know the EU equiv of ESTA comes in later this year, hadn't heard they are moving to a digital stamp but then I have an EU passport still. 

Some travel much further regularly for work and can still fill a passport quickly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback