Selling DVD/books etc

Options

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luckybert said:
    Books are worth putting through the Ziffit and Webuybooks apps.  Usually more generous than Music Magpie. 

Yeah I tried both, the trouble is these are from my childhood and most of them don't have bar codes.
    I always think they are valuable as they are so old but it's not the case it seems. I know DVD's wouldn't be valuable but I have sports programmes and books/annuals that are 40/50 years old and it seems all I shoudl do is chuck them in the bin or give them away. 
    You don't need a barcode - can you find the ISBN?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    luckybert said:
    Books are worth putting through the Ziffit and Webuybooks apps.  Usually more generous than Music Magpie. 

Yeah I tried both, the trouble is these are from my childhood and most of them don't have bar codes.
    I always think they are valuable as they are so old but it's not the case it seems. I know DVD's wouldn't be valuable but I have sports programmes and books/annuals that are 40/50 years old and it seems all I shoudl do is chuck them in the bin or give them away. 

There are newer pogrammes than that listed for sale on the Oxfam shop website listed above.  I think Ive found somewhere that will take my vhs tapes!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I put quite a few on books, dvds and cds on charity shelves at local superparkets, garden centre and some of the motorway services I use when travelling. I dropped af ew bags off at one services on the way to see family in Portsmout and on my return trip 3 days later they were nearly all gone.

I have a pile listed on the bay which I would have got nothing for via Zifft etc but but have a value. It beats doing surveys to raise money hands down. 
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Try We Buy Books and Ziffit for books, DVDs, CDs and games. Or if you have a branch of Cash Converters nearby, take them there. This is what we do for decluttering. Have had no problems selling older DVDs. 

Also, try vintage shops for older things in good nick.

For football programmes, could you advertise them in a fanzine or on a classified board at the club ?.Might be worth putting them on eBay, Preloved etc as a job lot to be collected ?
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    Options
    ^ My local Cash Converters offers either 1p or nothing for DVDs at the moment, because they've got loads and struggle to sell them.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,268 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On Tuesday I took a bag of CDs and DVDs to a charity shop and they wouldn’t take them as they said they just take up room and don’t sell. I tried 3 charity shops before one agreed to take them, but said they won’t take any more. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thara1996
    thara1996 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good luck. 

You can always see if a local church or hospital will take them. Alternatively try your luck with the care homes etc. Another classic option is to sell them at car boot sales too. Good luck. Family members and friends may also be looking for new DVDs as well. It is always worth a shot in any case here. If you are honest that will help a great deal. Include photos of you are selling items online however. Failing that I am happy to have new ones in addition to watch this winter at home. Seriously. 
  • toby3210
    toby3210 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You can try going to carboot sales and then flogging on ebay? Especially if you are willing to play a waiting game to sell. I've done this for year. I find antique books pretty lucrative.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,662 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin said:
    On Tuesday I took a bag of CDs and DVDs to a charity shop and they wouldn’t take them as they said they just take up room and don’t sell. I tried 3 charity shops before one agreed to take them, but said they won’t take any more. 
    If charity shops won't take them, it clearly shows there is alack of demand for DVDs and CDs.

I have decommissioned my DVD player (only have one DVD now, which is a film often on TV) and it is in its box on a shelf. Haven't played any of my (few) CDs for some time, getting my music mainly from YouTube and radio
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    Options
    There is a lack of demand for physical media now - but I still grab bags of DVDs when they're offered on the local "recycling" groups on Facebook - I've tried streaming stuff on All4 and it's rubbish, and I'm aware that sometimes a long-running series will disappear from a paid streaming platform and pop up on a different one you don't subscribe to, before you've had chance to watch the end. I'd rather have the physical media so I can watch when I want to, but I'm not surprised that people want to get rid, and I must force myself to do the same once I've watched things.

My local Oxfam bookshop will take DVDs, but I'm told that there are boxes of them (and vinyl, and CDs) outside behind their shop because they haven't got room to keep them all. (Yes, it's tempting, no, I haven't been for a look.)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback