We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lowells

Options

Comments

• Vaughfitz
    Vaughfitz Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for advice I sent the £1 postal orders for cca as I was advised on forum 
    Last week  now I’m worried I’ve done the wrong thing 
    thanks for this advice I will see what comes  back 
  • Vaughfitz
    Vaughfitz Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I only knew of cCA because of this forum I acted accordingly to the advice 
    which now seems to have gone off my thread 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,171 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Vaughfitz said:
    I only knew of cCA because of this forum I acted accordingly to the advice 
    which now seems to have gone off my thread 
    It was me who advised you about CCA`s.

By sending the statute barred letter you had already acknowledged the debts, and as it turned out, they still had a year to run according to Lowell, so those actions would likely prompt Lowell to say you have re-set the time clock on them anyway, so sending the CCA requests now can`t make your position any worse.

I would still say that they may not be able to provide correct paperwork on these accounts due to their age.

So lets wait and see what they come back to you with, keep us updated please.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is a CCA?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    BadDebtor said:
    What is a CCA?
    Consumer Credit Act, asking for a copy of your credit agreement, failure to comply renders an account unenforceable.

For more info Google "what is a CCA request" ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • DjangoUnchained
    Options
    BadDebtor said:
    What is a CCA?
    lack of it seems a golden ticket to get out of paying?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    BadDebtor said:
    What is a CCA?
    lack of it seems a golden ticket to get out of paying?
    Well I don`t subscribe to that theory, its a very valuable and important part of the consumer credit act.

Its designed so that debt purchasing companies cannot take legal action against an individual who they are chasing for a debt, but who may not be the debtor, or may not owe the money, having this framework in place is so important.

The fact they must provide proof of liability when challenged is invaluable.

You can`t have a system that allows creditors to demand money from you, or take legal action to recover such money, without any form of evidence being produced, the system must be fair to all.
  • BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    BadDebtor said:
    What is a CCA?
    Consumer Credit Act, asking for a copy of your credit agreement, failure to comply renders an account unenforceable.

BadDebtor said:
    What is a CCA?

In another thread it says that asking for a CCA is acknowledging the debt, so should that not be avoided?
  • DjangoUnchained
    Options
    BadDebtor said:
    BadDebtor said:
    What is a CCA?

BadDebtor said:
    What is a CCA?

In another thread it says that asking for a CCA is acknowledging the debt, so should that not be avoided?
    BadDebtor i think you just have to be careful how you ask for it, ie use a recommended properly worded letter
  • sourcrates
    Options
    The "provit letter" is specifically worded so as not to acknowledge the debt you are asking them to prove, so it can be used on a "without prejudice" basis, and should be sent in response to a request for payment.

You would only send a CCA request under certain circumstances, mainly when the limitation period was not in question, such as whilst you have been paying the debt on a regular basis, you would not send this particular letter, for example, in response to a letter asking for payment.

People do tend to get mixed up occasionally when deciding which letter to send, so always best to ask advice if you are unsure.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure