DIY LPOA

Hi, Wondering if anyone has DIY'ed a LPOA and if so how difficult it proved, ours is a simple married couple situation where we want our children to make the future decisions so I guess about as straight forward as can be ...
thanks.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    It should be straight forward. Ours both have 3 attorneys, each other and our 2 children all can act jointly and severally. We have added no specific instructions as we are confident they would act as we would wish should we lose mental capacity.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
     I did them for my mother for both finances and health and welfare. We did make one mistake which meant that one of her preferences couldn’t be included, otherwise would’ve had to start the whole process again. But that was my fault for not checking the signatures properly.
    Otherwise unless you have complexity in your affairs it’s pretty straightforwards. What we did find helpful was printing the form off and Mum going through it a bit at a time and then we sat and discussed it together. That helped her to think about what she wanted, but it also helped me to understand more clearly what her wishes might be in the future. Those conversations are important if you’ve not already had them.

You could also look at making an advance decision around future treatment if you do get ill, to go alongside the LPA.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • peteh1
    peteh1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for both replies, think the idea of printing forms is a good one, as we would want to state the LPA only becomes active once both of us are unable to make our own decisions, not sure if that would need to be written in a certain way ?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 21 March 2023 at 5:09PM
    Wouldn't need to be written a certain way, as that is one of the tick box options within the form. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 March 2023 at 10:41AM
    The finances one has the choice on the form of using when you have capacity or only when you lose capacity. The health/welfare one only becomes effective when you lose capacity.

I would suggest you have another think about only when you can't make your own decision. No-one can use it to override your wishes while you are able to make your own decisions, and it can be useful if you are physically unwell. My grandmother was housebound while still having all her marbles so she preferred someone to be able to go to the bank and pay bills for her because the difficulty in getting out and about was too much for her. (Internet banking was the devil's work!) 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • peteh1
    Thanks again for both replies, glad that its a tick box option rather a form of words (that I might have got wrong), will print forms and see if that throws up any additional queries ....
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,544 Forumite
    peteh1 said:
    Thanks for both replies, think the idea of printing forms is a good one, as we would want to state the LPA only becomes active once both of us are unable to make our own decisions, not sure if that would need to be written in a certain way ?
    I would not do that for finances, you may find in future that you want one of your attorneys to jointly manage your finances. This wad the case with my mother when her physical health was the major issue, it enabled me to use her account for shopping and to move over to online banking (she never used a computer or smart phone).

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    peteh1 said:
    As others have said, that is not a good idea. It prevents you from using the LPA when the donor still has all their marbles but is physically frail. It can also prevent you from using the LPA if they are "in and out" of lucidity and losing the ability to deal with their finances, but you can't yet get a doctor to certify that they have lost capacity.
    It also makes no logical sense. If you don't trust your attorneys with the power to make decisions for you when you are fit and well and can countermand anything they do, why would you trust them when you're no longer able to stop them?
  • peteh1
    Thanks, some good points raised, will maybe have a rethink re when the LPA becomes active, still undecided if I will go the DIY route, but thanks to all for the guidance so far.
  • peteh1
    Just one more question, am I right in thinking that just one person is required as a witness, who can then sign off the numerous sections (as opposed to a different person per section).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback