My cat was put to sleep tonight :(

Options
Our oldest tortoiseshell girl; a rescue cat we'd had for 6 years. I found her lying in the hall this evening, and the vet said she had multiple tumours (although these had been ruled out with bloodtests a few months ago). He said he thought one of them had hit something important inside which had caused her to collapse. She purred loudly all the while, gave one final huge purr as he injected her, and she was gone - so peaceful and dignified. DH is burying her in the woodland bed in the garden now by torchlight. So our old lady's at rest now.

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss,Sola.At least she had 6 happy years with you so try and think of that and what you have given each other in that time.Losing them is so hard,isn't it? My old dog is fading and i know i may have a very difficult decision to make soon.But you saved her from suffering and as you say she is at peace now.

Do you have any other cats,or will you get another?
  • TroysMum
    Options
    i'm sorry to hear that. at least shes not in pain and went in a dignified way.

Life's way too short!
    :beer:
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    We've got 6 others, plus an occasional visitor we feed, and may be taking an old ginger-and-white female brought into a vet last week nearly frozen to death. They seem to always find their way to us. I'd take them all if I could even though it's so sad when they die.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm really sorry about you losing your little cat. We recently lost our dog to cancer and over the years have lost various pets and its is so hard. You feel helpless and sad even though you know that you are doing your best for them.
    :grouphug:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    Thinking of you , its the hardest decision of all but at least she is now over the Rainbow Bridge free from pain. Loosing a pet is so painful but you had 6 happy years together. I had to put my cat down 11 years ago and I remember it as if it was only yesterday. I miss him so much. God bless you and all our other pets.
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    i'm so sorry sola. i dont know hat would happen if either of mine had to be out to sleep.
    big (((((((hugs)))))))))
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    I have a lab and we found a lump on her when we came back from holiday we got it checked out and it was cancer so she got it removed but they found 2 others so she's had them removed. she seems fine now though :)

So sorry to hear about your cat :( the poor thing atleast its not in anymore pain.

Love and best wishes

Stephb xx
  • jo1967
    jo1967 Posts: 521 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you are ok - my gorgeous 18 year old cat was put to sleep in April - we planted a tree for him. It should bloom at the time we lost him. Still miss him - had him longer than my son!

xxx
    NEVER ASSUME! :rolleyes:
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    So sorry. They do leave a space in your heart.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • computerwoman
    Options
    I lost one of mine (14) not so long ago...so it is always painfull we buried him in the back garden at 7am in the morning the neighbours wondered what we were doing when I told them they were oh ok...I have planted an array of things where he now rests so that they is always something in flower...I will still miss him though...:DI have 3 more cats the oldest is 13 then 12 then 10 and 2 dogs the oldest is 14 and the youngest my baby is 8 but I know one day they will all have to go in the end...it is sad when it happens but if they are in pain it's best I will probably have to go through it next year with my old dog hooch as his back end is going and he has gone deaf and his eyes look blue so I think he maybe going blind to...why do we put ourselves through this...I hope you can look back on fond memories and know that she has had it good while you had her but we all have to go sometime...:D

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family