How is 9% calculated of earnings for plan 1 student loan repayment?

Buddy7
Buddy7 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 17 March 2023 at 10:18AM in Student MoneySaving
I've read the recent article on this website & on the SLC website about how much you re-pay, but I don't understand the figures. On the Money Saving Expert web post it says: if your annual salary (before tax) is £25,000, you'll repay £432 a year of your student loan, but 9% of £25,000 = £2250, isn't it?

Thanks in advance anyone!

Comments

• AmityNeon
    AmityNeon Posts: 891
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You only pay a percentage of earnings above a certain threshold. For Plan 1, that's £20,195 (yearly), £1,682 (monthly) or £388 (weekly).

£25,000 - £20,195 = £4,805
    £4,805 * 9% = £432.45

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/what-you-pay
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,855
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2023 at 12:31PM
    It's income over a threshold that's subject to the 9% - the plan 1 threshold is £20,195, so £25,000 exceeds this threshold by £4,805, 9% of which is £432.

Edit: beaten to it by the above post!
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,804
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you Salary Sacrifice to pension your salary is reduced for this calculation and you don’t pay it on the sacrificed salary. 
  • Alistair31
    Alistair31 Posts: 936
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MX5huggy said:
    If you Salary Sacrifice to pension your salary is reduced for this calculation and you don’t pay it on the sacrificed salary. 
    Quite a nice little bonus that. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,750
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    MX5huggy said:
    Quite a nice little bonus that. 
    If you aren’t going to clear the loan. If you will clear the loan then it will incur extra interest.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback