Made to have Full Fibre Broadband

Options
BT Broadband Package up for renewel.  We've had no problems but seem to be paying a fair bit with TV added (basic) & monthly unlimited landline usage payment (which we need to keep).  On contacting to see what they can do for me, I am informed that to stay on the Fibre Halo 3 I would have to pay £3 per month more.  No extra charge to get super full fibre, which needs a box installed/new modem etc etc. which sounds good, but why do we have to get herded into what we actually don't require?  We don't game or do very much other than browse the internet, shop on line etc so don't need high speeds.  Is this now a thing? Superfast or nothing? 

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Everyone will have to go onto fibre eventually, those century old copper wires won't last for ever and no one will replace them.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Fishy46
    Fishy46 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mmmmmm, true. 
    Maybe I just go for it then. Paying £59.00 per month with TV & Landline anytime calls. No other extras. Is that reasonable? 
  • Bronvahl
    Bronvahl Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Fishy46 said:
    BT Broadband Package up for renewel.  We've had no problems but seem to be paying a fair bit with TV added (basic) & monthly unlimited landline usage payment (which we need to keep).  On contacting to see what they can do for me, I am informed that to stay on the Fibre Halo 3 I would have to pay £3 per month more.  No extra charge to get super full fibre, which needs a box installed/new modem etc etc. which sounds good, but why do we have to get herded into what we actually don't require?  We don't game or do very much other than browse the internet, shop on line etc so don't need high speeds.  Is this now a thing? Superfast or nothing? 
    The whole market is about up-selling you SYDN, which is good enough reason to shop around, albeit that there is zero real competition. The fact is even if you buy 10mb it will most likely not be ASDL but a speed limited fibre connection depending on where your home is in terms of fibre upgrade.

I used to live on a very new housing development, the Council allowed more homes (flats instead of houses) that the original planning was awarded for, so BT did not put enough capacity in.  At the time it was all ADSL and they were splitting wires and pulling wires of existing customers to meet the targets of new installs.  Eventually it was upgraded to Fibre and most people on ADSL were moved and they tried to upsell them. 

I have not had a Landline since 2012, I used to use VoIP with two dect phones, but these days with Whatsapp, Signal and Telegram for mobile I do not need it. 

If you can afford £59 a month lucky you, I don't think people really NEED any of it, they just have not found alternative solutions, even my elderly relatives have done away with Landline.  They have CCTV and a Philips sensor that connects to Alexa and triggers a routine if nobody walks in the hall for 10 hours. Calls are made on Tablets which is nicer experience and keeps them in touch with those who have moved abroad.

£59 a month is £1062 over 18 month contract, I dumped all that TV stuff, Netflix costs me half what the TVL did and I get some Apple TV on some family offer but it is mostly tripe except for Tehran series. I don't bother with catch-up but if you like the terrestrial channels they are there.  A £30 Roku device or Amazon Firestick will get you loads of free channels. Both are HDMI sticks so less wires.  I managed to get a £16 a month equivalent deal with some haggling and so £288 over 18 months. That leaves a lot left over to find alternative solutions and most of them are fixed one off costs. 

I tend to match one service with another, so for TV I just count the cost of TV Stick and annual Netflix vs the TV element of Broadband Suppliers selling TV only solution.  I don't care what they bundle or offer because it is like going to Factory Outlet that says a designer T-Shirt is reduced from £78 to £30, I would never pay £78 and probably manage with a £3 T-Shirt.

I also apply the "What have you got to show for it" test and with BB, TV and TVline you have nothing.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback