Wind catchers ??

Basically having the quotes for a barn conversion which include a wind catcher .  My question is are they necessary & what benefits do they have ??

Comments

• Grandad2b
    Grandad2b Posts: 310
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had to google wind catcher. Suggest you do the same as only you and your architect can decide whether you really want one.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,915
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My first thought was "why does someone need advice on a tinkly garden ornament", but then I DuckDuck'd it and realised I was wrong so I'm not going to comment :D 
    The last private resident of 10 Downing Street was a Mr Chicken.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,585
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't know if they still are but they were a common thing in traditional indoor souks in the middle east, in the peak hot months they were very effective in bringing the temperature down and did not use any energy to provide the cooling effect which was very welcome.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,671
    Forumite
    If you are converting a barn (you lucky thing), then presumably it'll require insulating and ventilating to current building standards? So I can't see why this - admittedly lovely and intriguing - device would be required any more than on any other building?
    If it's hot, open some windows.
    Unless the wall construction doesn't allow for current levels of insulation? Is it - even with added natural (wool/wood fibre etc) insulation - going to be a breathy building that needs this?
    I presume your archi specified the wind catcher? Guess who you should talk to :-)
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539
    Forumite
    We use the Monodraught wind catchers a lot for schools, community centres, industrial units, wedding venues etc - very good way of providing large amounts of ventilation in large spaces, without the usual draughts from open windows and doors during winter time. They also are a very secure way of providing ventilation, so good at night time or when you're out during the day. Normally have a sophisticated controls set up based on internal CO2 levels, and internal and external air temperatures.

We wouldn't put them in a residential property unless you were having very large parties all the time, it's an expensive item. For a residential property you could probably replicate the 'passive stack' part with a rooflight with remote control for a fraction of the cost, but you're unlikely to need the large amount of fresh air that the unit would provide.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 March 2023 at 6:30AM
    Is it really a windcatcher?  Most traditional barns would be constructed to allow cool air to enter low in the building and then ridge vents to let the moist warm air escape out of the roof.  Often these ridge vents were given a design treatment to make them look appealing or to make them seem more effective (whether they were or not is open to question).  But that would not make them windcatchers in the true sense of the term.
  • mi-key
    mi-key Posts: 1,581
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My first thought was "why does someone need advice on a tinkly garden ornament", but then I DuckDuck'd it and realised I was wrong so I'm not going to comment :D 
    I was thinking of something like dreamcatchers :D 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure