What tools should I replace?

13»

Comments

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mi-key said:

My best tool though is probably my electric concrete breaker, I reckon about half the neighbours around me have borrowed it at some point
    Have you got good LP included in your house insurance incase some well intentioned neighbour whacks a service and decides it is your fault as you loaned them the tool ?
    If someone bought a concrete breaker from a shop, and hit a service, would they go to the shop and try and blame them for selling it to them? I don't think I have anything to worry about 
    The reason I was prompted to make post was I was once on a job when a subbies labourer came up and asked if he could borrow a hacksaw, as it was right beside me I did not like to say no, but told him I wanted it back in twenty minutes as I would need it then.
    About a hour later some gaffers and foremen were wandering around with concerned looks on their faces, turned out the labourer had cut a couple of cables in the wrong place.When the investigation was getting done I got drawn into it and got criticised for giving a numpty a hacksaw, so I have always been wary who I lend tools to since.
    A couple of weeks later I bumped into the subbie and he ribbed me about it.
  • mi-key
    mi-key Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Eldi_Dos said:
    mi-key said:

My best tool though is probably my electric concrete breaker, I reckon about half the neighbours around me have borrowed it at some point
    Have you got good LP included in your house insurance incase some well intentioned neighbour whacks a service and decides it is your fault as you loaned them the tool ?
    If someone bought a concrete breaker from a shop, and hit a service, would they go to the shop and try and blame them for selling it to them? I don't think I have anything to worry about 
    The reason I was prompted to make post was I was once on a job when a subbies labourer came up and asked if he could borrow a hacksaw, as it was right beside me I did not like to say no, but told him I wanted it back in twenty minutes as I would need it then.
    About a hour later some gaffers and foremen were wandering around with concerned looks on their faces, turned out the labourer had cut a couple of cables in the wrong place.When the investigation was getting done I got drawn into it and got criticised for giving a numpty a hacksaw, so I have always been wary who I lend tools to since.
    A couple of weeks later I bumped into the subbie and he ribbed me about it.
    I don't think anyone could actually be held liable for lending someone a tool if they then did something stupid or had an accident with it. 
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It’s like if you lend  a garden axe to your neighbour who wants to cut some branches off a tree. Do you carry out a risk assessment, and ask him to go for a mental health check. Just in a case he attacks his wife with it.

No you don’t and won’t be held accountable.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    But what if the guy with the axe is called Eugene.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback