Alternative Fuel - Proof of Purchase

On first inspection I should be eligible as no mains gas in the village, but post code not listed (surrounding streets are)  Told to apply on line but as I could not afford Oil - Ive been eeking it out for a year (hot water once a week and heating Christmas Day)  Coal bought a bag at a time from local shop as and when I could afford it - they dont give receipts other than debit card slips that are not acceptable, so how do I prove it.  Anyone had any luck?  surely if you use storage heaters you wouldnt have proof either?

Comments

• Van_Girl
    Van_Girl Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Storage heaters are not an alternative fuel, so wouldn't receive the AFP in any event

If you buy oil now, I understand that you'll be able to use that receipt. Presumably you would need to buy oil now regardless of whether you'd be getting the AFP, since you've been stretching it out over the last year? Have you been saving a little each month ready for your next purchase?
    £12k in 24 #14 £4571.63/£23k 23 #14 £17,195.80/£18k 22 #20 £23,024.86/£23k
      Debt Free January 2021
    • Not saved enough yet to get oil - price has more than doubled and what i've saved on electricity £400 has been spent on coal (amazingly my useage has gone up by  £67 a month, co-incidence??) - but criteria says living without mains gas so storage heaters should be included
    • MattMattMattUK
      MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,587 Forumite
      First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
      Imsocold said:
      Not saved enough yet to get oil - price has more than doubled and what i've saved on electricity £400 has been spent on coal (amazingly my useage has gone up by  £67 a month, co-incidence??) - but criteria says living without mains gas so storage heaters should be included
      Not having mains gas is not the only criteria, using an alternative fuel is a criteria, electricity is not an alternative fuel. 
    • Imsocold said:
      Not saved enough yet to get oil - price has more than doubled and what i've saved on electricity £400 has been spent on coal (amazingly my useage has gone up by  £67 a month, co-incidence??) - but criteria says living without mains gas so storage heaters should be included
      Not having mains gas is not the only criteria, using an alternative fuel is a criteria, electricity is not an alternative fuel. 
      Sorry yes you're right, but my problem still exists, Because I dont have the excess funds to buy in bulk which provides proof that I can afford it, I cant take advantage of the fund to help people who cant afford.  And what is annoying is that if they had said this was going to be necessary from the start  I could have saved up and bought my coal from a merchant rather than as and when needed.
    • Van_Girl
      Van_Girl Posts: 368 Forumite
      First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
      It isn't a perfect system, and I do think some people are unfortunately going to miss out unless something is changed. Which is possible, but not guaranteed. 

But it doesn't solve your problem of lack of funds, which you would have regardless. It might be worth filling in an SOA and putting it on the debt-free wannabe board to see if anyone can help with your budgeting, or suggest options for financial help if things are so tight that you can't afford heating. Definitely worth a go, there's lots of knowledge on here and people willing to help
      £12k in 24 #14 £4571.63/£23k 23 #14 £17,195.80/£18k 22 #20 £23,024.86/£23k
        Debt Free January 2021
      • Spoonie_Turtle
        Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,377 Forumite
        The only potential way to get this changed is to complain to your MP.  One complaint by itself will do nothing, but if they're all inundated with complaints then there would be more of a chance of something happening than otherwise.

It's a disgrace that this help was promised and then people who legitimately are entitled to it fall at the last hurdle that's suddenly been imposed.  It is not on.
      • The only potential way to get this changed is to complain to your MP.  One complaint by itself will do nothing, but if they're all inundated with complaints then there would be more of a chance of something happening than otherwise.

It's a disgrace that this help was promised and then people who legitimately are entitled to it fall at the last hurdle that's suddenly been imposed.  It is not on.
        Agreed. I'd add also that many of those now applying had until very recently assumed they were getting the payment automatically and would not have expected to be doing this in the first place so wouldn't have made any specific arrangements to ensure qualification. I'm guessing the bit about supplying receipts is for people to prove they genuinely are off grid. No idea what the date requirements are for though. 
      • Spoonie_Turtle
        Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,377 Forumite
        The only potential way to get this changed is to complain to your MP.  One complaint by itself will do nothing, but if they're all inundated with complaints then there would be more of a chance of something happening than otherwise.

Agreed. I'd add also that many of those now applying had until very recently assumed they were getting the payment automatically and would not have expected to be doing this in the first place so wouldn't have made any specific arrangements to ensure qualification. I'm guessing the bit about supplying receipts is for people to prove they genuinely are off grid. No idea what the date requirements are for though. 
        Not necessarily, people can be on the gas grid but not use it for heating (either use it only for cooking, or not use it at all), so the receipts are to prove that they use a large amount of alternative fuel. 

I suspect that's why they also set a date, to prevent people who don't use it for their main heating from adding up minor purchases over the years, but the date being so recent has backfired spectacularly.
      • propertyrental
        propertyrental Posts: 2,453 Forumite
        Fortunately oil price is coming down - slowly.
      Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
      • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
      • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
      • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
      • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
      • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
      • 172.9K Life & Family
      • 247.7K Travel & Transport
      • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
      • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback