🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Incapacity Benefit - Medical Examination?

Options
2»

Comments

• LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't worry. There's nothing to worry about. :)

When I had my first one I was terrified. I too suffer from mental health problems.

I was told by someone who works in benefits that these interviews are just to make sure the person is getting what they are entitled to. :)

I'm sure it will be fine. The doctors are generally helpful and very understanding. :)

xx
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • Scarlett.1974
    Options
    Don't worry. There's nothing to worry about. :)

When I had my first one I was terrified. I too suffer from mental health problems.

I was told by someone who works in benefits that these interviews are just to make sure the person is getting what they are entitled to. :)

I'm sure it will be fine. The doctors are generally helpful and very understanding. :)

xx

Thank you Lady Morticia :)

We've had a little bit of good news this morning. We have (well, H has) been waiting now for a few months for a space for him on a course our local hospital runs for helping people with conditions like his :) It's every day for 2 weeks and apparently, according to his dr. at the hospital, it has a very good sucess 'rate', so to speak. Well, they rang him this morning to tell him he has got a place on the next one which starts in March :) I know that sounds like it's ages away, but we've been waiting 6 months already, so another 3 won't hurt :)
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pleased to hear hubby is on the next therapy programme. It will probably help him enoromously being amongst other people who suffer similar mental health problems too. I'm sure time will fly & March appear to come round very quickly, once we get into the New Year.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Rharni
    Rharni Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    Options
    Can I add a note of caution. In May 2007 I had to attend an interview with a doctor.

His phone rang constantly(mobile phone, I had switched mine off), he asked me questions several times and refused to let me talk other than yes/no..and sometimes the questions can't be a yes/no answer.

I have pretty severe arthritis, depression and anxiety I found the whole experience a nightmare. I've had a rotten year as both my mother and husband have terminal cancer, so I doubt I came over to the doctor as a rational human being!!

However, when I got the letter about it..I was disallowed. I had NO points at all. Almost every answer I had given was recorded wrongly. they stopped my benefit.

Finally, I had to go to a Tribunal in November. It was a trial and a half, the men doing the appeal were really nice and I could talk to them, but I found the experience very difficult.

I won my appeal and in December, finally got the back money from when I was disallowed. Which was good..no, great..but it had taken a long time.

I think I had been disallowed to take a few off Invalidity...so reduce the figures...then when I won my Appeal, they had to reinstate it..but I had been lost off the figures for a few months.

Just take care when going for the interview. The doctor I got was a disgrace....
    Good Luck All
    :grouphug:..thanks to all Posters
    :grouphug:
  • journ
    journ Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    My sister has schizophrenia and very bad depression and she is seen by the mental health team because she can get very mad and she needs 24 hour care her mental health nurse come out every 2 week and she got a letter to see a benefit doctor so i filled the form in and got a letter from her mental health doctor which said how bad her mental illness is and asked if she could get a home visit , Well we got a letter from the IB benefit saying there was no need for her to see one of there doctors and the letter from her schizophrenia doctor told them all of the information they needed and the next one will be in 2010.
    So i really hope you can even get a home visit and it all goes well as i said my sister has a great mental health team who is there for not just my sister but me, because this illness is so hard to live with and i need all the help i can get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport