Incapacity Benefit - Medical Examination?

Options
Good evening all,

This is my first time over here, so please be gentle with me :)

My husband receives incapacity benefit due to being unable to work because of severe depression, anxiety and panic attacks, he has been receiving this for 8 months and has to send the DWP a 'sick note' from his GP every 3 months.

He has today received a letter from Medical Services to say they wish to examine him because the DWP require more medical information. He phoned them (as requested on the letter) and has an appointment for 2nd Jan. Is this anything to be concerned about? We're both rather worried. He is in NO fit state to go back to work (some days he can't even leave the house :() and we would really struggle without this money (I am working and we are in receipt of tax credits).

Many thanks to anyone who can help. Just going for dinner now but will be back very soon.

Scarlett xx
You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

Proud to be BSC no. 103

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nothing to worry about at all as it's a normal procedure to be asked to attend a medical. I've had to attend 2 in the past & found the dr's to be very gentle & understanding about my fragile mental health.

Many of the questions your husband will be asked will be what are called computer based, meaning he will be asked a random series of set questions & his answers are scored on a points system, using a computer programme.

As long as he scores enough points he will be considered incapable of work. He may be called to attend further medicals in the future. If he passes the PCA, then he won't have to send in further certificates for a period of time until he is asked to attend another medical.

See hear for more information & advice on the PCA, which are what the medicals are called & how the points system works. Reading those applicable to claiming on mental health grounds will be a help to him. http://www.bhas.org.uk/incapacity/index.shtml

You will be able to go into the dr's room with your husband if he wants you there for support, but your husband will be the one who is asked the questions.

Good luck & tell him to try not to worry.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Scarlett.1974
    Options
    Hi cattie,

Thank you so much for your reply, it's really helped to put my mind at rest a bit :) I shall go and read that link now.

Thanks again,
    Scarlett xx :)
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • relay
    relay Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    It's all pretty standard & nothing to worry about. They have to make sure that his condition has not changed/improved/worsened since he first claimed & the examination is just one part of the process.

They will also have medical evidence from his GP to substantiate his claim as well & they are (in my experience) no diferent to seeing your own Dr - they don't sit under a spot light to interrogate you, it's all very informal and relaxed.

Make sure your husband takes any medication (if he is prescribed anti depressants etc) with him along with any letters from psychiatrist/counsellor if he sees one, and any other supporting evidence of his condition.

I have had 2 medical examinations and did not need to attend the 3rd which was this year because they had all the information they needed from my consultant as i am undergoing hospital treatment.

Honestly don't get stressed about it, i am sure it will be fine. :grin:
  • Scarlett.1974
    Options
    Thank you relay. Am glad to hear it's pretty 'standard' and that he hasn't been singled out or anything!

:)

Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • relay
    relay Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Oh god no, it's not targeted by any means, we all get called in & it's not a bad thing - some people's conditions can become worse over time, in which case they would need to make sure you are getting the help and benefits you are entitled to.
  • mouseymousey99
    Options
    Hi Scarelett - Just to say you may find the MIND website helpful too.
    Your council may fund a DIAL office? You will find details through your local council and the folk there can also help you through any queries you may have.
    Best wishes
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was (&still am) in a similar position to your husband. I asked for & got a home visit from their doctor as I was too anxious to get into town.
    Nice to save.
  • Scarlett.1974
    Options
    The_Biff wrote: »
    I was (&still am) in a similar position to your husband. I asked for & got a home visit from their doctor as I was too anxious to get into town.

Hi The_Biff, I'll definitely have to go with him, he won't be able to go on his own. He was really worried about the letter earlier on but is feeling a bit better now since I showed him this thread :)

Thanks again all of you for your replies and help, it's much appreciated :)

Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    My husband has a mental health condition, and had to attend a medical, but eighteen months later after filling in his second questionnaire was told he didn't need to attend another one.

Please tell your husband not to worry. My husband was incredibly stressed out when he attended his, but all was fine and he scored far more than the minimum points.

For the second questionnaire, he printed off a copy of the questions from the internet, underlined the answer, scored it himself and sent it in in support of his xlaim. As I say, he didn't need have to have a medical that time.

Hope your husband is feeling better soon. My husband and I both know what depression/anxiety is like and wish him well.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Scarlett.1974
    Options
    My husband has a mental health condition, and had to attend a medical, but eighteen months later after filling in his second questionnaire was told he didn't need to attend another one.

Please tell your husband not to worry. My husband was incredibly stressed out when he attended his, but all was fine and he scored far more than the minimum points.

For the second questionnaire, he printed off a copy of the questions from the internet, underlined the answer, scored it himself and sent it in in support of his xlaim. As I say, he didn't need have to have a medical that time.

Hope your husband is feeling better soon. My husband and I both know what depression/anxiety is like and wish him well.

Thank you seven-day-weekend,

It's such a cruel illness and with no physical symptoms I'm sure some people must look at him and wonder why he isn't out at work? :( But they don't see what I see, the days when he can't leave the house because he's "scared" and the panic attacks, which are, quite simply, terrifiying for us both to name just a couple of things.

Thank you for your kind words :)

Proud to be BSC no. 103
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport