We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cant understand EDF bill

Options
Hi everyone, very new here, would welcome any help - i've just had a bill from EDF it reads:

-Balance on last bill                                                                   £180 in credit
-You paid us (1 payment £ 213, 4 payments of £170)               £893 
-Refunds                                                                                    £333
-Your charges including vat

Comments

• AllyCat21
    Options
    Hi everyone, very new here apolgies for post above, cant edit
    , would welcome any help - i've just had a bill from EDF (2 year fix still one year to go( it reads:

-Balance on last bill                                                                   £180 in credit
    -You paid us (1 payment £ 213, 4 payments of £170)               £893 
    -Refunds                                                                                    £333
    -Your charges including vat                                                        £1161
    Your new balance:                                                                     £421 in debit

The refunds are the money back from the government paid into my bank account
    From the bill it looks as though these are being counted as debits, rather than credits?

Am I missing something here? As far as my working out goes 180+893 - 1161 = - 88 or 88 in debit not 421

• PeterGr
    PeterGr Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are several posts regarding how EDF compose their bills with the Energy Support payments.  Suggest you look at some of them, and you'll be able to apply the explanations to your bill.    Good luck
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Look at page 2 where it gives you your actual usage. Add it together, add 5%vat take off your payments and you should get the correct balance. 
    Ignore the charges on page 1
    Or look at the several hundred threads that ask the exact same question 
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    similar query yesterday HERE, might help you understand it.
  • AllyCat21
    Options
    Thank you all! Appreciate your help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills