PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May we discuss Quilting?

Options

Comments

• ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Note for Apprentice Tycoon:

If you go to your library and get out Janet Haigh's Crazy Patchwork book, then find the project for a ribbon-embroidered cushion, you'll see that she has taken lots of thirties embroidered things - teacloths, antimacassars, napkins - cut out the good bits and joined them together using feather stitched ribbons in matching colours. Doing it as a crazy patchwork means they can all be different sizes and shapes because you sew them to a backing. I have a whole pile of cruddy thirties linens which I'm going to do this with! I think it looks right out of Country Living (or "Better Homes Than Yours" as my DH calls it!). Sorry, can't find an image, so you'll just have to look at the book or use your imagination...
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Great, thanks, I'll look out for it - what do you think about mixing up the various thicknesses of weave? is that covered in the book
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Helloooo!!! :hello:

I've been out at work all day, so soz for not coming back sooner.

I think I decided to do each of the squares individually and turn them into pot holder type wall hanging thingies.

So basically, until I get the calico/old sheet, I can't get cracking yet? :confused:You will need to get a backing square before you can put together your quilt sandwich.

And does that mean I also need to get the binding stuff too?

To give it a neat edging, when all the quilting of the panel is completed, yes, you will need some binding.

I'll see what I can find at the weekend.

Can't wait! :j

Good luck! :):):):) You're going to do a great job!

Which parts of the panel are you going to outline with quilting stitches?
    (I'm assuming you are going to use the straight stitch on the machine? Or were you thinking of hand stitching?)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Options
    apprentice ... if crazy quilting is your desired aim ... check out Crazy Quilt Central it has a large amount of links showing examples of crazy quilting (some of the links no longer work though, but most do) Also, take a look at HGTV Modern Crazy Quilt which has step by step instructions with photo's

One book I know of which has a specific project for making a cushion cover from a varity of embroidered pieces:-
    Thimbleberries Classic Country Expanded Edition by Lynette Jensen
    ISBN: 1-890621-70-6

I borrowed it from my local library and photocopied the picture and instructions (for my own personal use) because it gave me the confidence to have a go myself ;)

Spendy .... take a gander at HGTV Quilt Basics it has a great index to browse through and in the how to finish a quilt section it has diagrams on bindings.

Some of my favourite quilting sites:-

Quiltmaker - lessons, articles, free patterns, tips and techniques

Debbie Mumm - free pattern every month + project archive (I made my teapots wallhanging from one of her books, her project instructions are very easy for a beginner to set to work with ;) )

Quilt Woman - (best have a cuppa and a butty ready ;) )
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Queenie many thanks for the links. I love the Debbie Mumm site - quilting and scrapbooking :D Should keep me busy for a long time.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Thanks for that Queenie, I've had chance to have a proper look now, I'm not sure about the crazy quilts but I will look through all of the Debbie Mumm pages -there are lots! there is bound to be something that will incorporate my tablecloth pieces there.
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Would love to hear how and from where everybody sources their "stash" :D see I have been looking and learning! It does seem to be an expensive hobby if you need to buy fat quarters but I do love the american colours and themes. Is there a mse way to do this?
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    Which parts of the panel are you going to outline with quilting stitches? (I'm assuming you are going to use the straight stitch on the machine? Or were you thinking of hand stitching?)
    That's one of the questions I needed answering. I'm assuming I sandwich my square, wadding and backing together, bind it, and then outline the animals?

I'm more content to do it by hand as I can do that in my lap anywhere.

And soz again, been at work all day instead of part day. :mad:
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have just got back in from town and have managed to get some fat quarters for £1 down from £2.95 in a sale :j Some are country style, cockerels, cats and some kitchen type also some christmas ones so well pleased. Got to get some wadding now but have some old sheeting for the backing.

• Queenie
    Options
    That's one of the questions I needed answering. I'm assuming I sandwich my square, wadding and backing together, bind it, and then outline the animals?

I'm more content to do it by hand as I can do that in my lap anywhere.

Ok, I'm clearer now :)

You need to tack your sandwich together (binding is the last step, after all the quilting is done. You will add the hanging loop by doing a "twist" of the binding at a corner)

Place your backing fabric on a hard surface (I don't use my table, because of the polish :o) the floor is ok or a kitchen table. On top of that, you will place your batting/wadding, then, on top of that you place your fabric panel.
    The backing fabric and the wadding should be a bit larger than the top panel.

Now you need to temporarily secure the sandwich together, either by using small safety pins or tacking (long running) stitches. Begin at the centre of the panel and tack/pin from the centre to the top; centre to bottom, centre to left, centre to right. Your basting/tacking stitches can be 2" long in lines that run parallel horizontally and vertically. As you are working on a small square, I would recommend that you space your tacking/basting rows 2" apart: your first vertical will run through the middle of the fabric, then approx 2" to the left another row of basting stitches and 2" to the right of centre another vertical row of tacking stitches. Likewise on the horizontals - does that make sense?

Now you have your quilt sandwich all nicely basted and ready to "Quilt" :D

Some quilters are incredible fussy about the length of their stitches when it comes to hand quilting - I am not :o It takes years of practise to do teeny weeny stitches!! To hand quilt, you use a "running stitch", keeping it as even as possible. Also, you can buy "quilting thread" (it's basically a stronger cotton thread) for hand quilting .. for a first project I simply used what I already had and the results were pleasing - it may not last 100yrs + , but I'm more than happy with my first achievement LOL.

Quilt the outline of your animal/motif by either hand (which is really therapeutic and portable!) or by machine (straight stitch).

Once all that is done, then you trim the sandwich before binding it.

I'm hoping I've made sense - if not - ask ;):D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business