PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May we discuss Quilting?

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• homerdog
    homerdog Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I dont know if this is really an old style request or not, but can anyone recommend a really good book for beginners to quilting - not patchwork qulits, the type where you pad a little bit and stitch around it.
    I have a friend who is retiring very soon and has mentioned in conversation that she fancies giving this a try.
    Thanks for any help any one can offer.
    Debbie x
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry I can't help but thought that you might be better asking your question on the New! Crafting forum - lots of crafty people there that might be able to help :]

Helen

Whoops - just seen that you have so ignore this lol
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure how much you were thinking of spending, but I would look at this website: http://www.pandqmagazine.com/
    and consider a magazine sub instead of a book. The magazine gets you into the "community" and offers cheap entry to shows etc. etc. all useful for beginners.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might be worth Googling for a quilting group that's close towhere she lives. One group local to me runs beginners events and has open days as well as a monthly event. Or a local quilting shop may have classes.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • homerdog
    Options
    I did try googling for a local group and couldn't seem to get to grips with the different areas, I know there is one but don't know it's name, I might nip to the local library in the morning and see if they have any group ideas.
    Thanks
    Debbie x
  • RosiePuddingPaws
    Options
    What you need to search for is a book or website about a technique called Trapunto. Ordinary quilting books may not give what you need.

Basically, you have your top fabric and your backing fabric, one on top of the other. You then sew around the area that you want to give the padded effect to. CAREFULLY cut a slot in the backing fabric (not too big) and then stuff the hole with wool/wadding or whatever. A wooden BBQ skewer makes a good tool for stuffing to make sure the padding goes right to the corners. Once stuffed, you then sew up the slot.

RPP
  • homerdog
    Options
    Thank you all, I have found a group called the Montague Patchers in sale, I think this is the one my friend has mentioned, I'm waiting for the phone number to be passed on.
    :) Debbie xx
  • amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2013 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Hi, not sure this is in the correct place but hopefully someone can advise.

I want to make a quilt for a double bed using 20x20cm squares of fabric. I would like it to hang over the edges like a duvey cover does but not to the floor.

i'm really struggling on how many squares of fabric I need, can anyone advise? i only need the squares on the front of the quilt, am using one pattern fabric on the back

Many thanks
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • ebaybaby
    ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    A standard double duvet cover is 200 x 200 so you would need 10 x 10 squares for it to be exact duvet size, you want it bigger though so I would say go for 12 x 12?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure