Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

LadyBrook Securities Ltd and Rentcharge

There have been lots of threads on here over the years regarding LadyBrook Securities, rent charges and retrospective consent. All seems very dodgy but is apparently legal. 
Advice wanted regarding LadyBrook Securities from anyone whose dealt with them and retrospective consent. They are currently delaying my elderly and vulnerable mothers house move by asking we get retrospective consent for alterations made to the property. They have responded and say it will cost us £360. However they haven't been able to tell us what works they think have been done, so it's clearly just a money grabbing practice. They knew she was selling as solicitors contacted them to confirm there was no outstanding rent charge. She had a conservatory built decade's ago, but has had a new roof, doors and windows more recently. Should I declare these as well? 
Any response from LadyBrook has been vague and bare minimum without answering our questions. And of course no way to contact them swiftly, further delaying mums move.
Thanks for any advice


  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,006
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In my mind, you replaces windows, doors and the roof. Unless you lived in a conservation area I would not think you need to declare these. Knocking down an internal wall, building an extension or adding a conservatory are 'adding' to the building and should be declared.
    I assume this is a leasehold property? Does the lease not give any indications?
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,391
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Rencharge is a big clue its not leasehold as its why they exist, to allow third parties with no interest in the land to receive an annual payment.

    They may also come with other obligations, but the rent charge document is needed to see what they are.  To keep in repair, to maintain insurance and not to carry out alterations without prior permission are all typical.

  • Thanks for your comments. I've gone over the small print from the 1960s deeds and it looks like buildings that have been erected rather than general home maintenance. 
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Do you think they will come and visit the property ?
    Tell them as little as possible  so no to the doors, windows and roof.
    Good luck getting this sorted 

  • Rose247
    Rose247 Posts: 2
    First Post
    Does anyone have the email and phone number for Ladybrook Security.
    Can't get mortgage because they need to give me statement and can't find details.
  • Hi they don't have an email or phone number. They will only correspond by letters. Infuriating but they did reply quite quickly when I was dealing with them last year.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards